Screw end modification fixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw end modification fixture

I often have to make modifications to the ends of tiny screws. Often enough that it behooved me to make a jig.

A brass 'collet' is made for each size of screw by tapping a short slug of brass with the required thread and then milling a small flat on the slug. The screw is then threaded through the collet and secured in place with a lock nut. The collet is then inserted into a steel tube and locked in place with a set screw.

The whole assembly is then stuck in a collet and the required work performed. (The picture shows a dog point put onto a 2-56 screw.)
    Last edited by mklotz; 07-28-2012, 11:55 AM.
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Neat, good solution to a really tough problem. JIM
    jim

Comment

Another one of your NEATO gizmos, Marv

I love your stuff,--- keep em comin'!!
      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

I'm curious--why the intermediate steel piece between the brass slug and lathe collet? Why not simply grab the brass slug in the lathe collet? That's what I do.

Comment

To get the screw clear of the collet?
          Russ
          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by rklopp
            I'm curious--why the intermediate steel piece between the brass slug and lathe collet? Why not simply grab the brass slug in the lathe collet? That's what I do.
            Yes, that's an alternative. However, I frequently use this fixture to hand hold small screws to grind or polish the ends and I need something to grab onto. Also, the tube gets the tiny screw away from the end of the collet if I'm doing a milling operation where fouling the mill holder is a possibility.
            Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
            http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Working...
            X