Miniature faceplate/indexing table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miniature faceplate/indexing table

I occasionally need to mount a small part on a faceplate so I made a tiny one to fit into a 1" collet.

The T-slots were made with a 1/4" mill reground to look like a T-slot cutter. The T-nuts are 6-32. The back view,

shows the spigot used to mount it in the collet. The spigot is removable

and has a precision centering pin so that other fixtures can be fitted to it. (A sacrificial mounting plate is shown on the right.)

Finally, with the spigot removed, the faceplate fits into my vertical collet holder (described in an earlier post) to form an indexing table. The bushing shown fits into the table's central hole to reduce its diameter if working on parts smaller than 1/2" OD.

Last edited by mklotz; 04-14-2013, 06:13 PM.
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Marv, again I'm impressed.

What kind of lathe do you have?

Comment

Don't take this wrong Marv, but sometimes I don't like you very much. You make me feel so completely incompetent...

Nah, just kidding. I love seeing your stuff and it inspires me to do better by showing what is possible. Thank you for all your great posts!
      Russ
      Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by pgmrdan
        Marv, again I'm impressed.

What kind of lathe do you have?
        I've got a 12 x 20(?) Enco. (Never made anything big enough to test the length number.) It was bought in the early 80's so I'm presuming it must be Taiwanese. It's more than adequate for a self-taught duffer like me. While I do have an early Unimat, almost all my work is done on the big lathe since the Unimat is more or less permanently fitted out as a high-speed drill press and milling machine.
        Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
        http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Thanks for replying.

I wondered if you had a Unimat, Sherline, or Taig. Of course, you can always make small stuff on a bigger lathe but not vice versa.

Again, very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Another great one done.
            Glen
            Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
            I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
            All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Oh, great! Now I have ANOTHER project to do right away. . .

Cheers,

Frank Ford
              FRETS.COM
              Gryphon Stringed Instruments
              My Home Shop Pages
              Cheers,

Frank Ford
              HomeShopTech

Comment

looking good Marv well done.Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Faceplate

CUTE !!!

Another person that puts another project in my "to-do" list.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nicely done.

So what the hell are you and Evan drinking? Projects seem to be non-stop from both shops
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

wheres the post on how to build the rotary table ...very nice work .

all the best.mark

Comment

nice work,,, very well executed, can we see the cutter you modified for the t slots?
                        scariest thing to hear " I am from the government and i am here to help"

Comment

Just tonight I borrowed a 8" rotary table from my brother in law. I better make a fixture like that while I have it.

A little 36 hole indexing fixture with a little face plate that mounts vertical or horizontal would be great for model building. Fancy machinist would make a ring that has 10 pin holes to make it work like a vernier.

Index fixture 2.0

Comment

Miniature items are just real neat, nice work Marv,

Comment

Really nice useful little item of shop plant Marv, Take 100% for effort, On a small milling machine folks dont realise what a useful work holding fixture something like that can be, Will have to make one for my 6" stroke travelling head shaper, and my hand powered bench planer
                              Thanks for an interesting and worthwhile contribution.

Comment

Working...
                              X