1893-1903 Pratt & Whitney Lathe Runs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1893-1903 Pratt & Whitney Lathe Runs!

To make a long story short, I installed and temporarily wired the motor to a power cord and used the circuit breaker as the switch. The lathe would run for about 20 seconds, then blow the 20 amp breaker. On a hunch, I figured that I may have one of the coils wired backwards on my repulsion motor...resulting in too much amperage being drawn. So, I reversed the leads for one of the two coil pairs and it worked! The motor also ran much faster...imagine that!

I ran the lathe both with the back gear and without on all speeds without any problem. I only let it run for a couple of minutes on each speed and kept a close watch on the bearing temperatures. I may have to loosen the left-hand spindle bearing slightly. Before I do that I will add a piece of gauze to the oiler to replace the missing wick oiler.

I guess the next step is to wire a switch into the circuit and mount it on the lathe.

I'll also need to do something about my motor/counter-shaft mount as the counter-shaft makes quite a racket. But, that is rather minor.

Soon I'll be ordering the cast iron, for the chuck backing plate, in order to mount the 4-jaw chuck I purchased onto the lathe.

Regards,

Brian
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Damn --- almost sounds like a museum peice, good job bringing her around...

Comment

Corngratulations as they say here in farm country! Would sure like to see some pictures of it when you can do it.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
      X