Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen it.again.

Comment

Apparently, if you use the ballistic tables in the operating manual instead of the targeting computer in the M1, you can get beyond the 5km range where the computer won't do the ballistic solution. A couple of colleagues who were M1 Master Gunners told me some stories of doing this in Desert Storm. My understanding is that this limitation in the computer has to do with doctrine as the army doesn't really want tanks engaging things that far down range.

Comment

.50 cal illegal in Canada now.....?

Willie;
        I don't want to fan any flames, but iirc, some of the local west coast natives are/ have negotiated the right to hunt whales and if they follow suite with other tribal groups south & north of 49, the weapon of choice is a .50 cal. rifle...Do they have some kind of exemption...?
        Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Lee in Texas
          And, bless their hearts, they have a beehive round once again. Essentially a 120mm shotgun round.
          I just found the M1028 Cannister Tank Cartridge on GlobalSecurity.org: the cartridge contains 1150 tungsten balls. Can you imagine the carnage?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ions/m1028.htm

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

It appears they have indeed started adopting combustable cases - that XM1028 is one, and the latest version of the APFSDS, the M829A3, a fourth generation "silver bullet"(penetrates almost 700mm of RHA @ 2 kilometers, and specifically designed to defeat reactive armor), also uses it.

It seems conventional cases are being phased out for tank ammunition.
            EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

I thought all the M1 rounds had combustible cases, including the original M829A1 (the "Silver Bullet").
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                I thought all the M1 rounds had combustible cases, including the original M829A1 (the "Silver Bullet").
                They are. The IPM1s (initial production) had 105mm rifled guns and brass cases. M1A1 and up have smoothbore 120s with combustible case ammo. All IPs have been retired.

I would love to light up a car bomber with that canister round. I have some friends who went to Iraq. They were in Humvees engaging a couple of cars across the Tigris. A tank rolled up and the TC said "Do you mind if we light 'em up? We're bored as hell." They said have at it. Our guys heard that the battle damage assessment team wasn't sure how many bodies were at the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by dicks42000
                  Willie;
                  I don't want to fan any flames, but iirc, some of the local west coast natives are/ have negotiated the right to hunt whales and if they follow suite with other tribal groups south & north of 49, the weapon of choice is a .50 cal. rifle...Do they have some kind of exemption...?
                  Rick
                  Not that I'm aware of Rick. I have just spent the better part of three hours trying to find that exemption in the firearms act, and as of yet I haven't found it. But as I'm sure you can imagine it is a very convoluted and ambiguous piece of legislation. I could be there for three weeks and not know any more than I do now. Lawyers make laws so that they will have a job interpreting the laws that they wrote.
                  For all I know it could be tied into some kind of international aboriginal treaty, there are a number of those because of tribal boundaries crossing the U.S./Can. border.
                  Interesting point though Rick as I too have seen news footage of them using .50 cal firearms in their whaling endeavors.
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                  X