Interesting job today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting job today.

Well it looked interesting if only I knew what it was ?

I think it's something to do with an adjustment link out of a hydraulic drive.
    Something is carried on the small stub shaft and supported on two bearings.

Well one bearing let go and caused some damage, close up.

Easy to built up but the problem is that the eccentric stub shaft is that far off centre it's impossible to hold with a 4 jaw as two jaws are just clamping the third one.

Follow on post next due to picture limit.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Solution is to make a pot plate to carry the main housing so it can be held in the 4 jaw. Pot plate is just a scrap bit of alloy die plate hence to section of pattern visible on the side.

Mounted in the lathe before dialing in. The housing is held by three csk screws from the rear into existing holes in the housing.

Housing dialed in, centre drilled, supported and turned to size.

Close up of the finished stub.

Not sure how long it took as I started at 3:15 and finished at about 5:30 but had to repair a broken lever clamp screw on the tailstock that's been playing up for a couple of days that decided to strip when I was drilling to pot plate out.

That should make them happy campers tomorrow.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Nice job John, sometimes it's near imposible to figure out how to hold something to machine it. If your not careful you can machine yourself into a corner and not be able to finish the job. Sometimes I have spent more time working out the steps than it took to do the job.

Tell me, how did you get the machined chuck end concentric with the large machined end since they were off center? I am assuming you indicated them.
      Last edited by Carld; 08-28-2007, 06:54 PM.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

if you've done this like you usually do john

you forgot to mention that you turned it undersize before you welded it .

see i do listen ,learn and take notice

all the best.mark

Comment

I taught him how to do that believe that and you believe anything Alistair well done once again John v. n. workmanship
          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Very nice . JIM
            jim

Comment

How bad did it vibrate? Did you have to wear a seatbelt and helmet to turn it? Somehow I think you aren't telling us the entire story

I would like to know what you used for weldment?
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

John,

Before you built it up, didn't you have to machine it down first so that when you machine it after it's been built up it doesn't show the weld seam?

BTW, good job as usual.

Comment

Nice job as usual.Part looks familiar,maybe a hydraulic vibrator for cement work???
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Looks like it was welded with Mig,can tell by the color of the smoke residue, lot's of bug holes, shafts like that need to be turned undersized first than built up full circle to achieve a perfect finish not that it matters for it's intended use.
                    Now I'll go put on my Nomex driving suit.
                    Nice work as always.

Comment

Purdy,fantastic job!

Comment

Dang fast John, and a prime result as well.

Ken

Comment

Normally I do turn undersize so the transition point is below the finished diameter but in this case with it not being easy to put in and out , plus the amount of undercutting the bearing had caused I went ahead and upped the amps on the MiG to get more burn in.

Weldment was just normal MiG wire as it doesn't have to be heat treated. Speed was around 350 a bit low but going any higher would have meant fitting balance weights and for one job it's not worth it.

That was the whole story, pot plate took about 20 minutes to turn, only one hole to bore and three to drill. Bracket was welded first and cooling whilst the plate was bored.

Todays $hit job is 4 brush holders for an old unobtainable DC motor.
                          When new these would have been cheap to buy as they would have been a plastic mounding. Now they have to be machined from Tufnol rod [ not cheap ] and silly threads put on.
                          Really they are not economical to make but it's not my call.

Ironically something that looks far simpler then that eccentric bracket will take far longer to make.
                          The bobbins were cut to length and bored last night so the brass holders could be fitted and filled with resin to hold in position, far easier than trying to broach butterfly holes in fragile material.

Pic's to follow.

Comment

You keep them pics coming son! Very interesting stuff to look at. I can't believe you can do all that work and still get by while only charging $10 bucks US.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

John, care to tell us what you charged to fix that? I would like ot know what to charge for a simular job. But i wouldnt be able to do it in 2 hours

Comment

Working...
                              X