No announcement yet.

oil seal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It figures in EH under the dishonest salesman category, sold the rubes a wore-out car to go west in.

Comment

Oso: there were so many worn out cars on the road that some "towns" in Western states would not let the dust bowl refugees stop becasue the cars might not start to leave town. Stienbecks "grapes of wrath" was better book than movie, but both failed to describe conditions as they really were. Best recounting I have ever seen was at that Stienbeck meuseum at Salinas calif. I looked and read maybe 30 minutes and culd take no more. too many memories. Went outside and tears big as horse turds rolled down my face. Shook like a dog sh*ting a trace chain. About recovered and woman came out side , said lots of those who had lived the displays did the same as I, happened fairly often. Anyway, I never knew EH wrote of those days. might re-read some of his stuff just to see how he handles it. thanks ,bud
      Steve

Comment

Doc, danged if you don't got me, of course it no doubt was Steinbeck. OY! Senior moment. Already!
        My excuse is that I have just been at a huge 5 day book sale, and the author names are all run together for me right now. After about 1 acre of books, the second acre starts to blur....

My dad was too young for a lot of that, but at 4 or 5 at the start of the depression he was the wage-earner. Grandpa got him to where he would point out places on the map and do other "smart little kid" tricks and got paid for it.

[This message has been edited by Oso (edited 05-07-2003).]

Comment

Oso: You dad was a little older than I. I was born 1931. Kids learned to walk in the fields- Moms pulling a "long white trailer" (cotton sack) with fathers and older kids. One or more girl (old nuff to work but for some reason not suitable for labor) would watch the rest of the kids and babies while the rest worked. When the kids could work, they did. Those of us lucky enough to have parents who sent us to school went to school- school or field was the choice.
          Sounds bad ,but it was actualy not a bad way to live. People are just people and do what they have to do when they have to do it and -lacking someone to tell them it is some one elses fault- do their best to get out of the hole they are in. But they don't see it as a hole unless they were better off before- then they have goals. Sad thing was that most of us were better off than we would have been had we stayed where ever we came from, so we were kind of proud that we had not been pulled down. Nuff memories of the boring kind.

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X