Automatic Electric Aluminum Can Crusher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Electric Aluminum Can Crusher

Hello all! I am new to this BBS. I have a home shop with tools that I grew up with. I had thought up a major project two years ago when I realized that I hated crushing cans with a manual can crusher. I save all my aluminum cans and turn them in for the few dollars I get for them. I thought I could engineer and make a automatic electric aluminum can crusher. I can now say it is done. I thought I would share it with other machinists and home shop hobbyists to see what everyone thinks. It is not a invention, there is a patent on file with the US patent office for a crushing mechanisim very simular to mine. I know there are those who would say it was a waste of time and energy, when cans could be crushed for a lot less trouble or just to turn them in uncrushed. Where is the fun in that? I now have a very capable device that will do as designed for years to come, and is unique in every way. To see pictures of the can crusher that I made, follow this link:

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/RS67Man/

A video of it in action can be found at Youtube.com at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2GwwfvB2g

I hope these links work!

Welcome to the forum and good work! You have a can-do attitude. You'll fit in fine here.

Best of Luck,

Cameron

Comment

Ain't no flies on that!

Your crusher would be the hit at any of our family get togethers, or picknics. The grandkids would stand in line and pay to get to crush a few cans. I believe at one time someone on this board suggested design/fab competition for any kind of a beer can crusher apparati. Put most design parameters on a back burner, and make the thing fun. The funkier the better.

We had a bunch of people working hazmaterial prep/disposal. Had about two dozen 55 gallon barrels, contaminated, which were to be disposed of. Landfill charged way too much to take them uncrushed, so we examined commercial barrel crushers. New, 12,000 bucks, nope, not in the cards, to rent one or lease one was also out.

Backhoe operator: Let me show you guys how to crush a drum. With one swat of the hoe, he could make a 3 or 4 inch thick slab of crinkled metal. Who says you have to crush them from end to end?

G

Comment

at least you can run that one in your kitchen. at the local antique engine show near me there is a guy who brings his can crusher quite often. it is a cylinder and piston from some old tractor that's hooked up to a hit-and-miss engine. it works well (other than the noise, smoke, splashing oil, and gasoline smell).

andy b.
        The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Fast acting version: http://members.tm.net/lapointe/Can_Crusher.htm

Different one, in action: http://youtube.com/watch?v=V3HfthV8mDE

A similar device is used to shutter ultra high speed cameras.

Joe

Comment

Thank you for the nice replies. I have seen the various can crushers on Youtube, mine is the only one that is a real kitchen appliance, and looks good too. I think my next project is going to be a electric coffee roaster. I roast my own coffee at home. currently the method I use is very labor intensive. I could buy a sample roaster that roasts 5lbs at a time and costs $3500+! Not a chance. My roaster would do 24oz at a time and would cost about $200 to build. If you would like to learn more about roasting coffee at home, go to:

http://coffeegeek.com/

Take care all!

Comment

I like it, thats a nice unit.

Comment

Well done, looks good too. Have you tried putting in a full can yet?

I have been planning to build one too but I have something a bit different in mind. I started with computer power supplies...

I quickly moved up to entire computers...

I thought for cans I would go with something that can do an entire flat at once. I was thinking of maybe dropping something from a height. Something heavy. Real heavy. I'd like to go for maximum density.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  Well done, looks good too. Have you tried putting in a full can yet?
                  If I did, The motor overload sense curcuit I made would trip and shut the motor off.

After the 30:1 gear reduction head on the motor and an additional 14.4:1 reduction with the sprocket, I have a possible availible torque of over 1500 ft-lbs!!!! I first machined a slipper clutch for the large sprocket, to keep from snapping off the crank, then added the overload curcuit to shut the machine off when the machine does jam and slipper clutch does slip. When the overload curcuit is tripped, the red LED on top flashes on and off.

Another feature with this machine is the collection can under the crusher is on a weight sesitive pad. when the collection can is full, the machine will shut off and turn the red LED steady on. It will not let you crush any more cans untill you remove the full bag and reset the machine. Also, if the front cabinet door or the top door are opened, the machine will shut off and will not run until all doors are closed and reset button is pressed.
                  Last edited by RS67Man; 08-30-2007, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Looks like a smashing success!

Comment

That is cool.A little over engineered but what the heck.Wish I could do the electrical stuff like that.

Comment

I need one of thoose for my shop, also know as the neighborhood bar. Looks good and shure beats stomping them. How long did it take you to devlop and build. OH and don't worry guys the drinking is after the days work is done.

Comment

Originally posted by RS67Man
                          I think my next project is going to be a electric coffee roaster. I roast my own coffee at home. currently the method I use is very labor intensive. I could buy a sample roaster that roasts 5lbs at a time and costs $3500+! Not a chance. My roaster would do 24oz at a time and would cost about $200 to build.
                          Lately I've been on a quest for a good cup of coffee, not so easy to find here in Phoenix. (Starbuck's is not to my taste.) I'm eager to learn about your $200 roaster, and wonder if the design might be scaled down to an even smaller capacity, for persons living alone like myself.

P.S. Did you race Suzuki RS67s?
                          Last edited by aostling; 08-31-2007, 12:35 AM.
                          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Business Idea?

You know those penny smashers you find at tourist attractions? There are several if not many versions of them so it is kind of fun to keep trying them. I wonder if you could do something similar with a can crusher. I bet people would collect and feed cans in them just for the entertainment of seeing the thing work. You get the recycle proceeds of all the cans. Need to have an excluder device to keep everything else, personal body parts included, out of the machine of course.

Comment

Originally posted by AZSORT
                              Need to have an excluder device to keep everything else, personal body parts included, out of the machine of course.
                              What's the best way to kick out anything that's not an aluminum can? Perhaps a device that (a) measures the size, and (b) weighs the object. Hmm, that wouldn't work if there was much liquid remaining in the can.

[edit] Of course, have the device tip the can do empty it. Duh.
                              Last edited by aostling; 08-31-2007, 02:18 AM.
                              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                              X