anyone know of a good video of cutting threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone know of a good video of cutting threads

i've never cut threads on my lathe, but i have a few projects i'd like to do in the near future that require it. i've read posts on the subject and checked books on it, but i learn best if i can actually see the entire process occur. from grinding the proper cutting tool, to mounting it properly, to starting the cut. anyone know of a source for a video that shows this?

thanks,

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0q_q53wsyHU
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=arlS6zPESZA

Search for lathe threading, thread cutting, etc. There's more.

They also have several CNC vids but they're useless unless you like to just watch machines.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q_q53wsyHU

they are slow, I would do that in 2-3 passes at 750 RPM. As a mewb to threads go slow and make a few passes. once you know the deal you can rough it out quick and do a high rpm finnish pass and have nice threads.

A little trick, dont take a light finnish pass for a last pass, take .010" and take it fast, you want to see a big puff of oil smoke boil from the tool.

Comment

From one that learned to set up for thread cutting, about 30 years ago, before the net and such.

I would recommend you contact a local trade school instructor and ask for a demonstration on a lathe of using a lathe for thread cutting.

You have to consider the lathe, material, tooling (ie, HPS, carbide, insert tooling, coolant system, speeds, etc.). Being there and discussing the ins and out is worth 3 years of looking, reading and hoping someone can convey to you knowledge via the net.

JMHO.

Roy

Originally posted by andy_b
        i've never cut threads on my lathe, but i have a few projects i'd like to do in the near future that require it. i've read posts on the subject and checked books on it, but i learn best if i can actually see the entire process occur. from grinding the proper cutting tool, to mounting it properly, to starting the cut. anyone know of a source for a video that shows this?

thanks,

andy b.

Comment

Maybe a member here will make a nice slow video for the newbs to learn from.

From scratch pitch check pass to finnish.

Anyone? If I have to do it there may be %#@&%$#.

Comment

Just wondering, could you?

Fun

Originally posted by tattoomike68
            Maybe a member here will make a nice slow video for the newbs to learn from.

From scratch pitch check pass to finnish.

Anyone? If I have to do it there may be %#@&%$#.

Comment

Check out SmartFlex They have DVDs on almost anything....

Comment

Little Machine shop offers the Jose Rodriguez DVD on thread cutting. I bought it when I first tried single point threading. Kept splitting threads and thought it was technique so I tried the DVD. Turns out I had a metric transpose gear installed instead of imperial. Anyway the DVD's pretty good. Shows tool setup, tapping, die chasing, and internal/external single point threading. He uses one of the little bench lathes but the technique is universal.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ory=-511675330

Cadwiz

Comment

http://wewilliams.net/SBLibrary.htm

http://wewilliams.net/docs/1936%20-%...etin%2036A.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                    so i have a few more questions. i thought the tool was shaped differently and only made a cut on one side of the threads. in this video the cutting tool is the same shape as the thread cut and cuts both sides at once. is that an acceptable way to cut threads? also, the lathe is running pretty slow. is there a problem with cutting threads and running that slow? i would be cutting threads in plain mild steel on an old South Bend 11" lathe. would a plain HSS cutting bit be best?

i don't have a threading dial at present, so the idea of shutting the lathe off and reversing it seems like a good way to make the cuts. if i can use a tool that is shaped like the one in this video, and run the lathe real slow (hey, it's my first time doing this), then i think i should be okay.

andy b.
                    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Andy, that is a conventional shaped tool. He never shows a shot of the compound, but it is probably set at 29 1/2 degree angle and infeeding with the compound. It is hard to tell in the video, but it looks to me in some shots that the chip is coming off the front edge of the tool. I would do it that way on your SB and when you get close infeed with the carriage for the final pass, I would start with HSS. Without a thread dial you will have to retract the cutter and reverse, unless you are cutting a thread that is a multiple of the leadscrew, then you can close the halfnuts anywhere and still be correct.
                      James

Comment

the angle on the tool point is 60 degrees, standard thread angle. Go slow because the feed rate would make it impossible to disengage the feed if you were going fast, i.e. 500rpm
                        Without a thread dial you cannot disengage. Reverse will work ok.
                        HSS will work fine on mild steel

Comment

South Bend Books

ahidley, thanks for the link to the South Bend book site.
                          Downloaded the lot!

Rgds
                          Michael

Australia

Comment

Originally posted by justforfun
                            From one that learned to set up for thread cutting, about 30 years ago, before the net and such.

I would recommend you contact a local trade school instructor and ask for a demonstration on a lathe of using a lathe for thread cutting.

You have to consider the lathe, material, tooling (ie, HPS, carbide, insert tooling, coolant system, speeds, etc.). Being there and discussing the ins and out is worth 3 years of looking, reading and hoping someone can convey to you knowledge via the net.

JMHO.

Roy

dude it ain't rocket science ,just practice on scrap metal . coolant systems ???? ,and speeds can be quite ajustable feed rate is the important part

Comment

I'd like to add one more suggestion regarding thread cutting. Just do it ! Many people (myself included) drag their feet when it comes to cutting that first thread. Once they've done it, it becomes one of their favorite operations.

If your SB has a QC gearbox, that makes it a lot more of a joy Den

Comment

Working...
                              X