Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic press

Hey Guys,

I was thinking of picking up a hydraulic press to bend a curve into some stock (3/16 x 1/2 1018) as opposed to heating and bending in a bench vise (with less than desirable repeatability).

I have only used a press in the past for pressing bearings and removing wrist pins...I wasn't sure if this is something that the press is suited for.

I don't think I'd need anything too large for the task (I'll be bending the stock in the easy direction), but I actually don't even know what size would be needed.

Any help would be great, also, I have a Harbor Freight nearby, while normally I wouldn't buy much if anything there, let me know if that's the kinda thing that would be fine to get from them....I'm sure the cost there would be on the low end.

Thanks in advance gents!

John

Are you planning on bending the hard way or the easy way?

How many parts do you plan on bending?

What tolerance are you looking for?

Do you have to meet ISO 9000 standards or better?

Have you set up an SPC program and if so what sigma do you have to meet?

Will help. if I can.

Some requirements would be helpfull.

Roy

OM]Hey Guys,

I was thinking of picking up a hydraulic press to bend a curve into some stock (3/16 x 1/2 1018) as opposed to heating and bending in a bench vise (with less than desirable repeatability).

I have only used a press in the past for pressing bearings and removing wrist pins...I wasn't sure if this is something that the press is suited for.

I don't think I'd need anything too large for the task (I'll be bending the stock in the easy direction), but I actually don't even know what size would be needed.

Any help would be great, also, I have a Harbor Freight nearby, while normally I wouldn't buy much if anything there, let me know if that's the kinda thing that would be fine to get from them....I'm sure the cost there would be on the low end.

Thanks in advance gents!

John[/QUOTE]

Comment

A small press should work fine John.

Have you considered one of these benders:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44094

Comment

Wish I could offer a statement like that, with no information and or a SOPE certs required.

Hope a bridge does not depend on your response.

Roy

Originally posted by Joel
        A small press should work fine John.

Have you considered one of these benders:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44094

Comment

If I read you right,3/16 x 1/2" 1018? Any small ratchet arbor press would do that and a lot faster than a hydraulic press.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by justforfun
            Wish I could offer a statement like that, with no information and or a SOPE certs required.

Roy
            3/16 x 1/2?Hope not too
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Wish I knew what you know.

Life would be great.

Roy

Originally posted by wierdscience
              If I read you right,3/16 x 1/2" 1018? Any small ratchet arbor press would do that and a lot faster than a hydraulic press.

Comment

Is there such a thing as an affordable ratchet arbor press? I have one of the Enco 1 Ton non-ratcheting arbor presses, and while it has the typical lousy fit and finish that you get with Chinese tooling, it smashes things OK

Does anyone know of a Taiwanese ratcheting arbor press? I've been thinking about trying a "1st Tier" Chinese press from something like Grizzly, but the shipping is killer. Same deal with buying a used Dake on Ebay -- the shipping is more than the press...

I don't know if a ratcheting arbor press fits in the 75lb Enco free shipping limit, but Enco's Chinese tooling is usually bottom-of-the barrel. Maybe 1 step up from Harbor Freight
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

3/16 x 1/2?Hope not too
                  Hmmm, 1/4 x 1/2 then?

Wish I knew what you know.
                  Cool, we both wish we knew what wierdscience knows.

Comment

I'm planning on bending the easy way, and none of the parts are of a critical nature structurally speaking....just trying to put a curve in some parts for aesthetic reasons while being able to do it efficiently and predictably.

The bender looks good, and the price seems good too....I'll look into that option a little more.

Thanks for the replies guys!

John

Comment

Are you planning on bending the hard way or the easy way?

How many parts do you plan on bending?

What tolerance are you looking for?

Do you have to meet ISO 9000 standards or better?

Have you set up an SPC program and if so what sigma do you have to meet?
                      That's a very "Practical Machinist" type of response for this board
                      (no offense meant Don..)

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Neill
                        That's a very "Practical Machinist" type of response for this board
                        (no offense meant Don..)

Peter
                        Give him time Peter he's a newbie feeling his way. Mind you being able to read would help, his first qestion was "Are you doing it the hard way or easy way ?" when Zinom did state in the third paragraph which way.

I did miss the bit about using 3/16" x 1/2" to build a bridge though

I don't think the home shop bit has sunk in yet

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Roy
                          Note to all bridge builders and engineers: If you are building public projects you might want to do your research elsewhere. This is a Home Shop Machinist forum and while it does have some professional types, it has a lot of raw, untested, rank amateurs offering their humble opinions as fact. If there's any chance anyone is using my answers where safety is of prime importance I'll have to get busy on a disclaimer signature

Actually, I suspect Roy was just in that "machinist frame of mind" where small details can make all the differance. I'm not "Dis-ing" you Roy, just found some humour as the board has been a little "upity" and all statements of late seem to come under a microscope.
                          Last edited by Your Old Dog; 08-30-2007, 09:57 AM.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

ratchet for Arbor press

I bought a 3 ton Jet Arbor Press. Really just a set of castings that needed some perfecting. Step one was some Teflon wear plates and deburing the ram. with a little adjustment it was a decent broaching press. The next step was to build a ratchet assembly to replace the existing handle. It is now a better press. I will try to get some pictures in the near future and post them along with some construction tecniques.

Pete

Comment

for that size metal all he needs is a vise and a male/female die to form it with.

He can have the best press in the world but without a dedicated die to form the metal exactly each time it will still be guess work.

In this case it's the die set that's important, not the press.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X