Die filer with VFD works as power jewelers saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Die filer with VFD works as power jewelers saw

Installed a vfd and 3 phase motor on die filer today.

Able to run at very slow to very fast speed. Seeing the very slow speed work decided to try a jeweler's saw blade. Used a coarse blade and a piece of 1/8" thick hot roll for the test. Was happy with the results.

very nice. I'm impressed by the clean cut that you made.

I thought most die filer didn't have the upper attachement. I guess you can essentially use it as a scroll saw.

Who's the manufacturer of your die filer?

Comment

I have plans to do the same thing with my Keller die filer. Where did you get your VFD?

Comment

The die filer is an Oliver. The overarm is spring loaded with a fair amount of pressure. Never noticed any bowing of the blade while cutting.

VFD was gotten off Ebay sometime last winter.

Comment

Originally posted by gary hart
          The die filer is an Oliver. The overarm is spring loaded with a fair amount of pressure. Never noticed any bowing of the blade while cutting.
          I found this photo http://users.easystreet.com/depmco/images/Die_filer.jpg but no manufacturer site. Are they still made?
          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Looks like a sweet setup. Making small parts should be pretty simple now !
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I found that a variable speed scroll saw (Delta - imported) works well for brass up to a quarter inch when equipped with a fine-pitch blade.
              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

That would be nice for making triggers and sears for a home made rifle or pistol.

Note,If you are from a country which does not like you building, modifying or altering fire arms,I am sorry for you , and please disregard this post.

Comment

Oliver Die Filer

The web address for Oliver is as follows:

http://www.oliverinstrument.com/drill_pointers.htm

I think they still have a few of the new ones for sale, plus parts for them, including the saw overarm used with the jeweler's saw blade above.

A.T.

Comment

Gary,

Jeweler's saw blade? Is that one of the smallish blades they use in their hand held saws? Are the blades high speed steel?

I have a die filer, can't remember the brand maybe DoAll, that runs very slow with the existing variable speed mechanism. It also has the spring loaded overarm.

Thanks for posting the idea.

Comment

Oliver, yep thats mine , and the model 21hd bit grinder.I don't have 100 bucks in both,if you are interested.

Comment

[QUOTE=DR]
                        Jeweler's saw blade? Is that one of the smallish blades they use in their hand held saws? Are the blades high speed steel?

QUOTE]

Yup, one of those small blades usually about 5½" long. Not sure if they are high speed or not, but have used them for cutting unharden drill rod before.

Tried something else this morning. Took a regular size bi-metal hacksaw blade that was 32 tpi and ground most of the backside of the blade away in the area where the blade would be cutting. Worked good. Second picture shows cuts done with both blades.

Real slow speeds are not necessay but nice. Was able to use the hacksaw blade and jeweler's saw blade close to the saws regular speed.

Hacksaw blade pic is taken below table.

The hunk of steel being cut is piece of one leg of angle iron and is only about .100" thick and not 1/8" as guessed earlier.

Comment

About how many strokes / minute are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe
                            About how many strokes / minute are you using?
                            Around 200 up/down strokes / minute seemed to work good. Don't think it is too critical.

Comment

Originally posted by IOWOLF
                              That would be nice for making triggers and sears for a home made rifle or pistol.

Note,If you are from a country which does not like you building, modifying or altering fire arms,I am sorry for you , and please disregard this post.
                              Looks like that sensitivity training is working!
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X