Simple errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple errors

I'm sure pretty much everyone can relate to this. You're nearly done making a complex part, and then you drill the last hole- in the wrong spot. ^#^T%$#ing ---t!!!

Well, I almost made such an error. I've been working on my fretboard, building it up from varying width spacers, all according to a thoroughly checked out set of figures. Got some spacers epoxied down, frets installed, and went to add more of it. For some reason I was just kind of playing with the pieces that were left when I noticed that there seemed to be a gap in the sizing. Did the math again, over and over, nothing was wrong. What's going on? Each fret distance had a spacer width number beside it- the math was right-

Turns out I had 18 numbers in one column, and 19 numbers in the other. The first and last of the 19 numbers had a corresponding entry opposite it. Friggin optical delusion the way I had them numbers written on the paper. I completely missed one calculation! I could have glued them all down and two thirds of them would have been in the wrong spot. Whew, glad I caught that!
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

One good thing I find about getting older is I double and triple check everything. One bad thing is I can't leave a complex job and come back to it several days later as I can't remember what the h*ll I was trying to do!!
    West Sussex UK

Comment

That's what welders were invented for he says after cleaning up where the hole used to be

The man who doesn't make mistakes isn't learing fast enough

In industry it's called Research & Development, at home it's called Repair and Deny

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Yup. Done that just 5 minutes ago.

202 x 102mm plate in the milling vice, needs to be cut down to 190mm long.
        13mm cutter in collet, skim cut on one edge, zeroed DRO after cut, indexed over 190mm + cutter radius offset, milled to size, then measured it and got 183.5mm.

Mistakenly offset cutter radius instead of diameter

Peter

Comment

My father used to say " Measure 10 times and cut once". Every time I make a mistake I remember this.

Comment

The old story
            you can cut it off, but you can't cut it on
            Just got my head together
            now my body's falling apart

Comment

"Good machinists make few mistakes. The best machinists seem to make none at all, because they are artists at retrieval and salvage, and are quiet about it"
              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Hi,

Two things I learned from an old timer, If you've never made a mistake, you haven't done anything. And it's not a mistake until you absolutely can't get yourself out of it. Until then, you're just re-engineering.

I do know that feeling of relief when you "save" yourself. I also know what it feels like to blow the whole thing. Enjoy the feeling today.

dalee
                If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Well had you been making that guitar for me it wouldn't have made any differance! I have an Ibaneze I've been picking on for years and getting now where. Get more music out of the windchimes on the porch
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                    I have an Ibaneze I've been picking on for years and getting now where. Get more music out of the windchimes on the porch
                    That's harrasment

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Got an old Ibanez myself. Still take pleasure in plucking the odd chord or lead riff
                      Hafta fix the amp one day
                      (ya gotta love that Floyd Rose whammy)
                      Just got my head together
                      now my body's falling apart

Comment

errors

Where I worked, one of the men comment that the only difference between a third class mechanic and a first class was the first class could fix his mistakes.

skeeter

Comment

I don't make misnakes.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Im nebber wrong

Comment

The "careless" mistake, where you fail to check, is one thing.

The other an usually more annoying mistake is when you very very carefully check everything and STILL do it exactly wrong.......

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X