Large sheet metal circles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yf,
    The use of a chop saw to cut circles is a great idea. I can imagine that making a pretty round disk with a pretty nice edge. Probably a noisy, dirty job but effective and a cleaner edge than using a torch. I have cut nice circles with an acetylene torch equipped with a circle cutting attachment that you can buy at a welding supply shop. It is a steel rod with a ring and set screw on one end to hole the torch and an adjustable point on the other end to fit in a punch mark or hole on the other end. With what is referred to as a "drag tip" on your torch you can cut nice circles. The drag tip has the pre-heat holes in a a straight line and it has a small wheel to allow the tip to ride on the material being cut. Works well on mild steel plate with practice.

With regard to jig sawing thin metal l would sandwich it between plywood. Cuts down the noise and vibration, guides the jigsaw blade and makes a cut with less of a burr. Use some spots of spray glue to hold the plywood to the sheet metal. Notice I said "spots" not the whole surface or you will have a lot of trouble getting the stack apart.

Comment

Yeah.

Cutting discs with the chopsaw makes a very true circle. Very noisy dirty etc.
      I also have torch circle cutting attachments.
      The circles they produce does not come close to what the chopsaw did. It is basically like cylindrical grinding. Remember, I roughed out with the cutting blade and finished to size with the grinding wheel.

Poor boys cylindrical grinder

Comment

Sorry Les. There are so many Rotozip like tools that are called Roto<something> that I thought that you were referring to these tools generically as Roto-blank. I guesss my ignorance is beginning to show.

Albert

[This message has been edited by Rotate (edited 05-08-2003).]

Comment

That's OK Albert. Most people don't know what roto-blanking is. It is similar to rotary shearing. However, the machine is far superior to those wimpy circle shears.
          There is also only one machine in existence. We can cut 1/8 and 3/16 circles up to 39" on it all day long, and fast.
          We can also trepan with the same machine.
          Les

Comment

Working...
          X