• gold gold gold

Does anything about gold plating ? I am asking for Fred ??Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
    Does anything about gold plating ? I am asking for Fred ??Alistair
    You forgot:

"anybody know "
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I have done copper and silver plating never Gold although I used to know the process I believe it uses aqua regis or something similar.Alistair

Comment

Last time I did gold plating, I just melted down a couple of bars and once they were molten, I "dipped" the item that I was plating into the pool of gold and then let it drip dry.

Depending on how large a piece you need plated, you might need more or less gold bars to start with. I've still got some around here somewhere. How much do you need?? I can ship it to you (for a price of course....) and you can return what's left and I'll only charge you for what you use.

However...........you might be better off having your items plated "electrically" by some local plating service as the shipping for gold is quite high. It's pretty heavy stuff.....LOL.

Regards..............
        RPease

Comment

How much could you sell me for forty two cents seriously I have a small jar of gold here somewhere its for old Fred so I dont want to supply any more than infiormation regards and thanks anyway. Alistair

Comment

You might check out

http://www.caswellplating.com/

they have gold plating kits.

But I haven’t used it so don’t know how well it works.

Comment

I'm afraid 42 cents worth won't be much. The stuff I had was in about 44 pound blocks. About 4" cubed. Now they're more like 80 pound slabs. That's why shipping might be high...........not to mention the insurance........LOL

I'm not sure where they are at anyway........got so much "junk" laying around. Can't find anything anymore.

No problem if you don't need it............good luck with your project.

Regards...........
              RPease

Comment

"...4" cubes" Ah, you probably threw that out with the swarf.
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

If I had 44 pound blocks of Gold I would know exactly were it is all of the day and nightAlistair

Comment

I did some gold and silver electroplating some years ago, still have the outfit. I had to plate some electrical contacts on a test stand I built. The chemicals are hazardous - sodium cyanide. the process is easy enough if you pay attention. The chemicals, a gold anode and a variable power supply are all that's needed. Oh, and some common sense when handling the cyanide and parts fresh out of the cyanide. Some metals are easier to plate than others - copper, brass, etc. are easiest. Steel needs to be copper plated before the gold or silver will stick.

What needs plating?
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Gold Plating

Ah, yes, Alistair!

You are sitting on a ----shhhhhhhhhhhhhh- don't tell everyone- a seam of gold.

If you think in 3 degrees west, the vein runs through the United Kingdom from Cornwall in the South to Wales where the Queen's wedding rings was mined into Warnlockhead in Dumfries and Galloway and right up to the North of Scotland. You, me old green eyed monster are actually living a shade North of the Warnlockhead bit.

Now it just so happens- OK- that one of my associates was Ron Callender, author of a book on the subject and a member of the British Gold Panning team.

So, what are waiting for?

Norm

Comment

Norm wanlockhead and Dumfries are not exactly next doodr to me my old son anyway I thought I'd leave it to you to get whetever you want.THERE WAS A PROGRAMME ON TELLY WERE TWO GUYS DID GET QUITE A NICE HAUL REGULARILY FROM THERE OR THEREABOUTS.THANKS ANYWAY EXCUSE TYPING aLISTAIR

Comment

gold, gold, gold

Here's me trying to bring Alistair untold riches and what do I get?

I did say that thiis vein actually runs North to South on the line- and doesn't just pop up in Dumfries and Galloway.

I was actually talking to one of the Knights Templar fellows tonight and the vein does run near Kilwinning. The Da Vinci Code thing has nothing on this fellow and Rosslyn Chapel is said to be near a plug of gold- under Edinburgh Infirmary.

Oh, and my wife is Number 2 Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of-- Edinburgh.

He just insn't interested in wealth- folks.

Hey, ho, hey ho-- it's off to work we go!

Droopy!

Comment

Gold on my bench

Not to hijack or get O/T, I am currently working on a project which involves the use of two gold foil electrodes. Not too much, two pieces, roughly 1"x1/2"x.0054" weighs only 1.554 grams. Priced today at $34.43 USD.

At that price, I guess I can't take it, run and not come back.
                            Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

Norm you got the words wrong again me ol fruit it's
                              I owe I owe so of to work I go
                              Alistair

Comment

Working...
                              X