Used Machine ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Machine ?????

Used machine, What problems do I Look for. Thanks to all.

We are pleased to offer the following for your consideration:

(1) USED - 14" X 30" LEBLOND "REGAL" TOOL ROOM ENGINE LATHE*

Serial No. 2B-1755

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Swing Over Bed and Carriage Wings 14"
    Swing Over Cross Slide 8"
    Center Distance Range 30"
    Headstock Spindle Speeds - Number 12
    - Range Low 45 - 132 RPM
    - Range High 654 - 1800 RPM
    Headstock Spindle Size of Center (Spindle Nose Bore) 11 Brown & Sharpe
    Headstock Spindle Diameter of Hole - Straight 1-1/2"
    Headstock Spindle Nose Taper Key Drive - Size L-00
    Bed Width 12-3/16"
    Carriage - Cross Slide Travel 8-1/2"
    Feed Changes - Number 48
    Thread Changes - Number 48
    Range of Threads per Inch 4 - 224
    Range of Feeds per Revolution .0032 - .106 IPR
    Tailstock Spindle - Diameter 1-15/16"
    - Travel 5"
    Motor 3 HP
    Approximate Floor Space Required 78" x 40"
    Approximate Weight 1,500 Lbs.

EQUIPPED WITH:
    Inch Threading
    10" 4-Jaw Chuck
    10" Face Plate
    7-1/2" 6-Jaw, Buck Chuck
    Square Turret Tool Post
    Miscellanous Tool Holders & Centers
    Chip Pan Base
    Coolant System in Base

*Preliminary Specifications Subject to Verification.

F.O.B. Lincolnshire, IL PRICE: $3,250.00

This machine is offered as taken from service. It appears to be in good
    condition and may be inspected at your convenience.

I trust the above will be of interest. Please be assured of my ongoing
    cooperation.

What should I look for in this machine? Sold as Is. Thanks

First thing I would look for is wear on the ways. Often if the machines were not properly maintained the wear on the ways will be heavier near the head stock. Some LeBlonds have replaceable ways but a set of ways would most likely cost more than the lathe. They might also be able to be reground. But then on being reinstalled they would have to be shimmed to bring them up to match their original height. Also look for wear on the bed where the tailstock rides. Another place to look for wear is in the tailstock morse taper (should be #3 Morse). A drill getting spun will screw up the taper in a big hurry. If the leadscrew has wear it most likely will be in the area closer to the headstock. On the headstock look at the long nose taper and key for signs of abuse. This would most likely be from the chucks not being tight enough.Also make sure it comes with the spanner to fit the nut that holds the chucks on! Over all a nice sized machine with more than enough umph to do most jobs that would fit in its envelope. But it might be a little on the pricey side
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

I use one on a regular basis, Watch out for the Forward reverse knob the one I use has forward, off, brake,off reverse. Electric brake doesn't work,I have heard this is common.

Comment

What to look out for....

Yep, the other guys have nailed a few common things with those lathes. The spindle nose, key & large retaining nut (L00 type ?) are often worn...but you can try to fid parts. Hopefully you get the c-spanner (wrench) for it.

The electric brake on the otherhand can be a pain to fix. I used to have a Storebro-Bruk lathe of smilar size with the dynamic brake. Fortunately I had the schematics and a bit of electrical knowledge but the contactor, diodes and resistor load bank would be expensive to try to replace. I doubt if factory parts would be available either...Fortunately common N. American parts can usually be subsitituted for the obscure stuff at much better prices.

Otherwise, they have a good reputation.....

Rick

Comment

Also check the spindle play. The way I do that is ues a dial indicator and a two foot 2x4 pry on the nose and see how much the spindle deflects should be hardly measurable.(.0001~as a wag)
          re
          Herm Williams

Comment

But the spindle end and radial play are adjustable on the spindle with the spanner nut that sets the timkens for preload. The bearings are or should be back to back so they would be set with preload as the spindle will lengthen as it warms up. Another thing is these lathes like all gear heads can be niosy at higher speeds due to the spur gears
            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Working...
            X