AMT wood lathe parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMT wood lathe parts?

I have an old AMT 2731 wood lathe that needs some parts--a cup center for the tailstock and a drive center for the headstock. Both ends are male threaded with the head stock being 3/4" 16 TPI and the tail stock is smaller, more like 1/2" 20 TPI.

I want to give it to my son-in-law to play with and before I give it to him I wanted to fix it up. AMT went out of business a long time ago. An internet and yahoo search didn't get me any info.

Could I take a female MT2 adapter and drill out the end for 3/4" and tap for 16 TPI? Then I could use commercially available centers. Any better ideas?

Go for it. its just a tool, they are all made to be worked on, or made better.

There is nothing there you cannot build yourself.

Comment

lathe AMT

At one time a few years ago Sears used to carry a bunch of lathe parts for wood lathes.

Ray in N. Ont.

Comment

The 3/4-16 drive spur should be common as dirt,might try looking at Grizzly or Pennstate industries.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have a grizzly catalog somewhere. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

AMT actually is still in buisness but no longer makes woodworking machines. There are a few details about them at: http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.asp?ID=29

Mike

Comment

Lee Valley Tools has some 3/4"-16 drive centers for use on the Taig lathe.
              For the tailstock I would just mount a 1/2" jacobs chuck with 1/2-20 threads and then put a straight shank center in that. Lee Valley might have them and if not I think one of the cue lathe guys has a straight shank center.

Originally posted by mikem
              I have an old AMT 2731 wood lathe that needs some parts--a cup center for the tailstock and a drive center for the headstock. Both ends are male threaded with the head stock being 3/4" 16 TPI and the tail stock is smaller, more like 1/2" 20 TPI.

I want to give it to my son-in-law to play with and before I give it to him I wanted to fix it up. AMT went out of business a long time ago. An internet and yahoo search didn't get me any info.

Could I take a female MT2 adapter and drill out the end for 3/4" and tap for 16 TPI? Then I could use commercially available centers. Any better ideas?
              Largest resource on the web for Taig lathes and milling machines, www.cartertools.com

Comment

Working...
              X