Milling machine tooling help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milling machine tooling help!

It looks like I'll be buying a 9x42 knee mill real soon (R8 spindle). Mostly smaller part machining w/ aluminum (2024 grade / 6061). DRO and power feed will happen in the near future. I'm looking at all the different high quality tooling options ---can someone recommend any of the following.

Milling machine vise-----which kurt vise?....or other brand??...Do I need a swivel base??

R8 collets......which brand (best grade)

ER32 ETM collet system....is this worth buying, Other brands??

Do I need a drill chuck??

I'm new at this and need to start piecing together the tooling. I have all the mearuring equipment already.

Thanks in advance.........................Krems

I have an ER32 collet chuck for my lathe and it is really nice to have. The ETM collets are way better than the Chinese ones, BTW. If you're planning on having R8 tooling though, I think the ER system will be a bit superfluous. The main advantage would be that you wouldn't have to undo the drawbar every time you change your tooling.

I'll leave the rest to more informed opinions.

Stuart
    Stuart de Haro

Comment

1. Kurt -675 vise are 688 I prefer the 675. with swivel base some folks dont like a swivel base but i use one.
      2.good lyndex collets R8 .
      3. a 1/2 Jacobs ball bearing drill chuck and a 3/8 Albrecht chuck. Get an R8 shank for the Jacobe and a 5/8 straight shank for the Albrecht .
      4. A 3inch boring head with a set of boring bars.
      5. a rotary table or a Super spacer are both.
      6.Also a 8x10 x6 slotted angle plate
      7 now you are set to do something , O yea a set of parallels foe the vise then some 1,2,3 blocks and own from their. Money is like a bird it will fly away.
      Last edited by lane; 09-07-2007, 10:30 PM.
      Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
      http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
      http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

If you get a swivel vise get one that can be used without the swivel base as that is the way you will use it the most. I have had a fixed vise and a swivel vise since 1993 at home and I have never used the swivel vise. Some day I may need it. In 17 years in a job shop I never once used a swivel base vise on a mill.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Ditto the Kurt 675,ditto the Lindex collets,although Royal collets are pretty darn good too.

I would ditch the ER system,never liked them in an R-8 spindle,to much overhang IMHO.A good set of R-8 collets and some quality endmill holders will do everything needed and more.

A power drawbar would be a nice feature on the mill if it doesn't have one already.

Drill chucks,Albrecht chucks are overrated in my experience.I have thrown away four so far.They are too fragile for the amount of money they cost.I have had much better service out of the Taiwan made keyless chucks that MSC,Grizzly and the like sell.(they are Asian,but they are excellent quality)$89 with an arbor for a 0-5/8" keyless that doesn't self tighten and has less than .0001" TIR is a bargin.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks for the help. I always liked my Royal 5c collets that I'm using for my lathe. I wish I could use them w/ the mill. I wasn't crazy about the swivel base vise. I'll have to think this one over.

What exactly is a power draw bar??, Is this something that I should look into if I buy a new machine??

Krems

Comment

What exactly is a power draw bar??,

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=25404
              "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

We had this discussion a few weeks ago,God, why can't you guys look in the archives?

Comment

Originally posted by IOWOLF
                  We had this discussion a few weeks ago,God, why can't you guys look in the archives?

If they did that the board would go dead. Take a look, not many post these days on topic, we are in a dry spell. I don't think there isn't any subject on this board that ain't been covered 10 times over so what's the point in posting?

Now to the point of the post: I have a vice with a swivel base but have never used it. If I bought a new one today I wouldn't bother, or, if I got it, I wouldn't use the base just shelf it.

I bought a set of cheap R8 colletts from Enco. I didn't check them right away and found out some 4 months later that only about 1/2 of them would fit in my quill. I bought another set, swapped out the good ones and sent the second set back for a refund. They said it was the only way they could do it at that late date. The set I have now works just fine for my needs as backyard machinist.

Also bought a 5C collet set to use with the holding blocks they came with. Am now thinking of a 5c collet chuck for the lathe. I have a 10" rotary, set of inexpensive parrallels, angle plates, 5c spin index and hold down kit.

Now, if you'll allow me the liberty of saying a few words on my behalf of myself on this auspicious occasion. "I'd like to thank myself for the awesome ability to "slide" right on by topics that hold little or no interest to me. I also congratulate myself for knowing from experience that often times when these questions arise repeatedly that someone knew joins the board and offers new and fresh info to a question that's been asked a hundred times before. I did good, thank me very much !"

Get another cup of coffee Jay !
                  Last edited by Your Old Dog; 09-08-2007, 09:16 AM.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

God, why can't you guys look in the archives

I have had that same feeling frequently here lately, only, "god, why won't people just keep there mouth shut sometimes"

I'm just joking with you IOWOLF, however, all joking aside, these constant whacks at people over the content of their post needs to be tamed down. They only serve to inhibit others , including myself from asking questions or sharing experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
                      God, why can't you guys look in the archives

I have had that same feeling frequently here lately, only, "god, why won't people just keep there mouth shut sometimes"

I'm just joking with you IOWOLF, however, all joking aside, these constant whacks at people over the content of their post needs to be tamed down. They only serve to inhibit others , including myself from asking questions or sharing experiences.

Halleluia!
                      Just thought this appropriate to drag onto the next page thats all. Right on the money Ken...

Comment

Power drawbar - yessssss!

I got the Kurt installed on my new Sharp lathe, and I consider it a near-necessity at this point. Being slightly height-challenged at 5'8", dealing with the drawbar is'nt exactly difficult, but it is a stretch.

I spend a fair bit of time working with older Bridgeports at the TechShop as a volunteer instructor. Every time I'm there I'm reminded how inconvenient it can be to change R8 tooling without the power drawbar.

With my Kurt system, it's as quick and easy to change R8 tooling as it is to change drill bits in a chuck. As a matter of fact, I only use a drill chuck when the drill I need won'tfit into my 1/32" set of R8 collets. I'd buy the 64th set in a flash if I could find one for less than the new set from Hardinge.

Cheers,

Frank Ford
                        FRETS.COM
                        Gryphon Stringed Instruments
                        My Home Shop Pages
                        Cheers,

Frank Ford
                        HomeShopTech

Comment

how nice it is to be able to put a drill directly into your collet, I know you can buy them individually but I wonder if they make inbetween sets for a discount,,, i only have them in 1/8"ths and wonder if I could get a set of 1/16" inbetweens to fill in the gaps instead of having to get an entirly new set...

Comment

Being slightly height-challenged at 5'8"
                            Haaa!..... Now 5'2" is height challenged
                            "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

If folks Keep there mouths shut,they would read more and search the archives. Kind of a catch 22 isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X