Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for purchasing a new lathe

Gentlemen,

I ordered a new GMCGML-1440BGF lathe. I was told it was on backorder and would arrive in 4 weeks. Two weeks later I called and I was told it may be as much as 5 to 6 additional weeks and possibly longer.

I need this or another similar lathe like yesterday! I don't want to wait another 5 to 6 weeks or maybe longer. The price of the lathe was $3850 with free shipping.

Do you have any knowledge of a company that has this lathe in stock OR suggestions on a different brand lathe that's just as good, maybe better, for around the same price?

Hope I have placed this post in the correct place on this forum.

Harold
    For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
    Freedom is only one generation away from extinction.

I forgot to check for instant notification.

Harold
    For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Comment

Free shipping? Are you getting this machine from Quality Machine Tools? If so, call them up and talk to Matt - see what solutions he offers.

Comment

I was getting this from Southern Tool Company out of Miami, FL.

Quality Tool Company? Where are they located?

Harold

Comment

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/ Ask for Matt if you call.

Comment

As soon as the sun comes up and they open for business I will give Matt a call.

Thanks Guys!

Harold

Comment

You could buy the HF 40576 lathe for less than $3600 with shipping. HF has sold this lathe for less than $3000. It does require 3ph power so you would have to include a VFD or something to convert to 3ph, but this would be a good thing, IMO. There are a couple of users of this lathe on the groups.yahoo.com/group/12x36importlathes that could give first hand accounts of this lathe.

Comment

Having worked with Matt in the past I found him to very up front. Haven't looked at his site in awhile but this looks interesting as an alternative to the small knee mills that Grzzly and others sell.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PMx7550Mill.html

If you are close and buy from him you can save some money and pick up yourself. He will help with loading. But I found finding his warehouse a pain. Pittsburg is confusing for somebody who is used to a grid system of streets
                Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Well, Quality Machine Tools is closed for the weekend. I did call but only got a recording.

Spin Doctor: They deliver free so that's the cheapest way to receive this machine if they have one in stock. Hopefully they will have one in stock.

Anyone ever had experience in canceling an order because the waiting time after purchase is too long? Are there penalties or do they attempt to levy penalties?

I paid in full with a credit card but they can't charge my card until the product is delivered.

hw

Comment

I bought a Newall DRO for my BP from Matt and found him an honest, straight talking guy with a lot of knowledge about what he sells, and good prices too.
                    Have never bought a Chinese lathe, but if I did, it would probably be from Matt. Take a good look around his site, he has a line called "Precision Matthews" that looks good also and is priced very competively.
                    As for the credit card charge, call the toll free number on your card and ask the "horse's mouth".
                    Dave

Comment

Nor have I purchased Chinese. My equipment (though old and worn) is American made. To refurbish my equipment to new condition would cost a great deal of money and time. I would like to own a new lathe before I depart this world and I really can't justify spending the money it takes to get a new American made lathe so I am resigned to purchasing something made outside this country.

I am definitely giving these people a call when they open tomorrow. Having broached the subject, if a person buys Chinese, what brand names seem to have the best name, quality, and reliability?

hw

Comment

Again, ask for and talk to "Matt" he appears to be a very knowledgeable person. Reading some of his past posts oo Practical Machinist, he has made referrence (in threads not about not about buying machinery) to his experiences, methods, etc. that lead me to believe he has quite a bit of machinist experience. I know he offers several brands of machines, take a look around on his website. I would trust his advice on the best all around from his selection, as he isn't some salesman who knows nothing except the propaganda in the sales brochures.
                        He offers a discount on machines to PM members, maybe he would do the same for HSM? Or you could jpoin up @ PM.
                        He sold me a 3 axis Newall DRO for less than MSC gets for a 2 axis of the same brand.
                        Dave

Comment

I am a member of PM. I had membership with them before becoming a member on this forum. I will talk with him tomorrow. Thanks for the information.

hw

Comment

Well, you've had 3 days in a new week! What have you found? Talked to Matt? Comments?
                            Inquiring minds are curious!

Comment

Hello There!

Apparently my lathe was shipped by Matt on 11 SEP and I am to receive it this coming Monday. It has DRO, 33 piece collet set .0005TIR, collet closure, and a bunch more treats.

Can't wait till it arrives.

Thanks to all for telling me about this guy.

Harold

Comment

Working...
                              X