Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for high(ish) amp distribution bocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for high(ish) amp distribution bocks?

I know I can order from McMaster and others, but I'm wondering if there is a better and/or more convenient (local) source for relatively high amp distribution blocks. Basically, like the little black plastic strips with double rows of screws. The ones you find commonly at HD and consumer grade stores are a bit small for some stuff I want to do. I hate Radio Shack in general, but I guess they probably have it. I've generally managed to get by with using scavenged parts stripped from junk boxes, but I want to wire a new panel for my 3 phase circuit, so I need 4 conductor lugs. I have nothing "big" enough, or neat enough, and wire nuts are not going to cut it...
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

I have purchased ground buss kits for an electrical service at home depot for dirt cheap, I think 3 for under $5. They are aluminum, accept up to 8 awg I think, and work very well for distribution buss. I used several in my phase converter project. The biggest issue is they are uninsulated. It would be pretty easy to dip them in that rubber crap, or do what I did, mount them with nylon bolts and spacers.

It's cheap, but it isn't really a beautiful end product, it looks okay and is serviceable.

Later,
    Jason

Comment

You hit my main points. Local, easy, cheap, serviceable, and presentable (main criteria, organized) if not beautiful. I thought about the ground bus/strips, but didn't like the attachment options. I suppose the nylon bolts and spacers would work well enough as long as strain relief is solid. There will be 2 conduit circuits leaving that box, along with 2 soft lines. Never looked before, but would HD have the nylon bolts and spacers you mention? If so, where?

I'm also thinking I might switch to a cheap small (maybe 30A?) breaker/disconnect box to get a bit more room, and maybe even put a plug on the cover for quick plug-in test type stuff.
      Russ
      Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

What I did was cut the strips into 3 section with the number of holes I needed. I drilled either end of the strip out to accept the 1/4 x 20 nylon bolts. I drilled holes in my enclosure I was using to house my caps and mounted the buss bars near the top of the enclosure. HD does sell the nylon bolts, spacers and nuts as well. They are in their fastener section, specialty fasteners, I believe either red or yellow drawers (was just in there picking some other fasteners). I needed the nylon stuff right then, so I bought from HD, however, they are fairly expensive, about $1 per pair of bolts IIRC. I have a local industrial fastener supply near me that I can get a box of 100 for about $5 there. It would behoove you to order enough from a industrial supply house to last you for a while. I have some pics of the strips in my enclosure, I plan on doing a write up eventually on building a rotary phase converter, but have not yet had the time. I will take a look through my website and see if I uploaded the pics, otherwise I will upload and post them when I get home.

Later,
        Jason

Comment

Eletronic Supply House

Over here on the right coast we have a house of eletricity. baynesvilleelectronics.com They do mail order and have a host of parts and supplies such as you describe.

I hope this will help you in your search.
          Norm'
          Member C.A.L.S. Balt'
          If it's not broken, why do I keep trying to fix it....

Comment

Working...
          X