Ascot Show UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ascot Show UK

Just got back from the Ascot Show in the UK.

First time this show has been held here, it's a brand new building only opened last year at a cost of 450 million pounds to replace the aging grandstands at the horse racing course.

It was also the Centenary of SMEE, the Society of Model and Experimental Engineers so a lot of effort went into this show.

They shopped around and found models made by Mrs Cherry Hill, George Thomas, Tubal Cain, E T Westbury, Len mason and more that I can't remember and got them all in one exhibition hall.
    As many of these collections have been split up over the years or the makers death that was no mean feat and it was an exhibition that probably will never be repeated in living memory.

For anyone who has never seen the Cherry Hill models they are beyond explanation, the detail and finish is superb and probably can't be bettered. I'm not sure how many times she has won the Duke of Edinburgh's award but it's a lot.

There are some pictures here take by a fellow Brit, Mark Rand.

http://www.test-net.com/ascot/

They are clickable so you can get the full pic.
    The Cherry Hill models are under glass and so hard to photograph.

Half way down the pics is one of Dr Bradbury Winters Rocket [ complete with rented muscle in the background !! ] This is made from solid silver and reputedly took 20,000 hours to make, mind you 3,00 was probably spent sweeping chips up

I still need to find my camera and bag in the truck, not unloaded yet as I have some different ones on to Mark's and I may have some better pic's of the Cherry Hill models.

Many people attended, I'll find out later the gate count. The SMEE stand was well staffed with plenty of models like the 1/4 scale Deltic built by English Electric engineers. They had a working workshop with lathes and mills giving advise to newcomers, scraping classes and three days of lectures.

We had two CNC's there working and also gave a lecture on all three days about CNC in the home shop. That surprised me by being full on all three days, a sign of things to come ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Neat pictures John -- I love the steam engine with the planetary gearing.

I see at least two Quorns -- pristine and unused as usual

That lever-operated tailstock looks interesting -- he kept the handwheel. How did he disconnect the tailstock leadscrew when he wanted to use the lever feed?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Show Pics; Thanks!

John,

Thank you for posting.

Cheers,
      Les H.
      The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

thanks for posting that, beautiful work

Comment

Beautiful work. Makes me feel pretty inadequate. I'd like to say that I don't have the time, but what I'm really lacking is the ability. I'm envious.
          There is no shortage of experts, the trick is knowing which one to listen to!

Comment

You Brits, do some fine stuff,Fan Friggin tastic.

Comment

That was a feast. I see whats-his-name has finished his Napier Deltic.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt
                That was a feast. I see whats-his-name has finished his Napier Deltic.
                Yes Clen Tomblison finished it a while ago but that one isn't his.
                The white one in the pics was made many years ago by the apprentices at English Electric at 1/4 scale, Clen's is 1/8 scale.

He's well on his way to doing a H 24 aero engine.
                His engines were on display but not entered in any of the classes, you get a choice of if you want to be included for judging.
                Some people like Clen are just happy to show their work, he's a real nice guy to meet and talk to.

Here's some bike engines on display.

Left to right, single knocker Manx, G50 Matchless, KTT Velo and G45 Matchless.

All working models except the 500 Manx.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

These are the best pic's of Cherry Hills models I could get given this Fugi is crap and the models are under glass.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                    That lever-operated tailstock looks interesting -- he kept the handwheel. How did he disconnect the tailstock leadscrew when he wanted to use the lever feed?
                    Yup, that is an interesting lever-operated tailstock. Never seen that one before.

On the Myford ML7 it is very simple to disconnect the handwheel from the tailstock. You just remove one small screw, then lift out the thrust plate, which is riding in a groove in the handwheel.
                    See attached photos (click on the thumbnails to enlarge):

But it seems that the fellow who designed/built this contraption, made it even simpler to quick-change between the two settings (modes?).

By the way, excellent pictures by both Sir John and Mark Rand!
                    Thank you! I just love hi-res pictures of beautiful models and other mechanical contraptions.

Thomas
                    Thomas

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
                    - Piet Hein

Comment

Working...
                    X