OT - What're your pryor hobbies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - What're your pryor hobbies?

S-o-o-o, what other hobbies did you fellers totally drop or slow way down on after you became addicted to accumulating machine tools and making piles of swarf? I thought it would be interesting to see what other obsessions you had before getting serious with Home Shop Machining.

Me, I've had a lifelong passion for model aircraft beginning in 1959 and then switched to radio control almost exclusively in 1980. I really enjoy the conception, designing, building then the test-flights of a new model. I guess I should say "enjoy-ed" since I haven't built any new models at all since a few months after getting a lathe in 2004. I started machining with the daydream that I would design & build my own model engine and fly a plane with it but that dream seems to be slowly fading away. Time will tell I guess!

At least several of the skills acquired in the model aircraft hobby do cross-over into the machining world such as the hand-fitting/lapping/modifying of model engines, CAD drafting, CNC router parts cutting, etc., etc.

Here's a few pics of some of my models. All of these models (except for the PeeWee .020 cu. in. powered motor-glider) are powered by modified Cox Tee Dee .049 cu. in. glow engines equipped with exhaust throttle control and other mods which allow a reliable rpm range of 5000 to 19000 rpm on 25% nitromethane/methanol/castor oil fuel.

OK, who's next?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

I did the model airplane bit in grade school (rubber band power) and
    up through High school ( 3ft span P38 ) class of 49. Then Photography for
    quite a few years (built a color processing rig) . Then Ham radio ,
    ( W3SLX circa. 1951 to about 60 ). Then woodworking which I still
    do a little. Got into metal working as means to build fixtures for the
    woodworking. It apeals to my sense of "precision" . :-)
    ...lew...

Comment

Howdy

Did the Model airplane thing started with Mouse racing and then goodyear racing then rat racing and FAI Speed and speed models then ...turned 16 and go kart racing 100 cc mcullogh alcohol Kart (went 100 mph on radar at Mosport racetrack) then dad said holy sh.. im gonna saw that thing apart so you cant weld it back together./ then first street bike .080 overbored H2 1972 Kawasaki Triple with bored carbs dencoe pipes milled heads kinda poor handling when wound out in fifth gear then IDBA Drag Racing with big block suzuki won our class in 1088 ran bests of 8.52 154 mph then got bored firearms next air guns and bit of fishing hunting (not into it) now home shop machining and gettin a hankering for a bike again. Just not much money times seem tougher now than they were. But model aircraft were always cool in my eyes. I learned to make moulds for single blade proppellors for our tuned pipe speed models aluminumn wings and pressurized fuel systems all when i was 15 years old in that range.

Comment

My main hobby when I was young was amateur radio which got me a start in an electronics career. Lately I have moved back to more electronics and less time on the machine tools. Maybe I was reaching burnout and needed a change.

Comment

Mine were the usuall young man hobbies- wine women and song. Women were to expensive, wine I couldn't handle without making a fool of myself usually with woman, I could not sing ( voice like a nightingcrow) so I moved my freetime attentions elsewhere and now retired. I still think off wine women and song but not as much as I used to, maybe I'll take them back up as a hobby if I can find the instructions.
          MBB

Comment

I had several years flying R/C competition aerobatics and control line combat.There's a heli in the shed at moment.

My main hobby and what takes all my time is racing 1/5 MotoGP bikes.
            Pic taken at a wet round of this years championship.

Under the bodywork.

Allan
            Last edited by Allan Waterfall; 09-11-2007, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Alan I didn't know 1/5 scale Moto GP bikes even existed, much less built to the level of yours! Pretty cool stuff. Do you run a Nova Rossi .12 in yours? I did up a batch of .21 venturis for the local N/R distributor; he sells them to U/C speed flyers. Nova Rossis are incredible engines. Quite the precision machining done there for sure!

Stoopid question: How do they keep their balance and stay upright? I don't see room for an onboard gyro.

Madman I guess you got your fill of fiddling with Cox reedie engines during your Mouse racer days, eh? It's amazing how serious a sport that can be. You got aerodynamics, stability, fuel mileage, propeller science, engine development, nitro fuel mixing, weather factor calculations not to mention piloting skill and pit stop efficiency. Big fun on a day when the whole plan works!
              Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
                Alan I didn't know 1/5 scale Moto GP bikes even existed, much less built to the level of yours! Pretty cool stuff. Do you run a Nova Rossi .12 in yours? I did up a batch of .21 venturis for the local N/R distributor; he sells them to U/C speed flyers. Nova Rossis are incredible engines. Quite the precision machining done there for sure!

Stoopid question: How do they keep their balance and stay upright? I don't see room for an onboard gyro.
                That one has an OS.18 CV-R in it,plenty of torque and smooth power delivery.I've used Rossi .12's,but much prefer the way the OS puts the power to the back wheel.I've just put a Rossi .12 in my sons bike,hoping to start running it in this week.I'm intending to build him one like mine for next year.My nearest track is being made to close by the council,so I'll be missing somewhere to raceprep for next year.

They stay upright just like a real bike does without a giro,once they're moving the physics are just the same, including the countersteering.I've got another bike with an OS.18 in it and it was clocked at 68mph down the straight at the Brookland racetrack(not to be confused with the full size Brooklands track).

Allan
                Last edited by Allan Waterfall; 09-11-2007, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Waterfall
                  I've got another bike with an OS.18 in it and it was clocked at 68mph down the straight at the Brookland racetrack(not to be confused with the full size Brooklands track).

Allan
                  Amazing!! Does the speed scale too like doggy years so the 1/5 would be going the equivalent of 340 mph?

When I was still on the drawing board they used to tell about a gal who had been a designer there before my time. And working on a scale drawing she asked whether this being a 2:1 scale the angles should be doubled too.
                  "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Ummm, Miles per hour is miles per hour no matter how big or small.

Comment

My first real hobby was electronics. I'd pick thru my neighbor's garbage taking anything electronic home. This naturally led to radio, but we lived in a rural area and I couldn't get to the FCC field office for my Amateur license so I did the CB thing for many years. I met most of my life long friends there.

I also had a love of dirt bikes (and later street bikes) and trying to keep them running was where my mechanical skills budded.

I was also fascinated with computers and in the late 70's purchased a Sinclair ZX-80 kit from the back of a magazine starting my computer hobby. At some point in there I picked up a guitar and later keyboards and have been playing ever since.

I got into RC cars and later planes for many years. I mostly made toothpicks out of them, but rebuilding them was half the fun (and most of the cost).

I took some metal shop classes back in high school and always wanted to put a machine shop together. It wasn't until the kids were grown and I got freed from the Beast (wife) that I could actually afford to start buying equipment. I finally got around to getting my Amateur radio ticket about a month ago (W9OM). Currently the HF stuff is in storage, just playing 2m/70cm out of the car.

With the exception of the RC stuff, I'm still pretty active in all of them. I'm heading out to the shop now to do some work on a Cincinnati Tray-Top my brother just picked up.
                      The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Bedroom gymnastics!! Though it was replaced by metal work, I miss it.

Comment

Nice planes DB, and nice scooter Allen, I just got done perfecting my electric ducted fan jet airplane, it works great now and has well over 50 flights with many many crashes including drilling the ground in a nose dive of at least 45mph... unbelievable how tough styrofoam is with a layer of that clear packing tape! The fuselage is a carbon fiber arrow from a bow, and i have all carbon fiber on all the leading edges, I spent about 4 hours on my mill building an intake ring for the ducted fan --- unbelievable --- a simple polished/curved air duct gave me another 1 ounce of thrust -- without it I could not get the little piggy airborn,,, I dont have ailerons but have rudder and elevator, nice little brushless motor and a couple of li-po packs for about a half hours worth of flight time (preferably with a slight buzz on) its allot of fun, and besides the highly modified foam wing and tail section its all my own design, id like to say it keeps me out of trouble but it dont --- or maybe its helped, guess i'll never know...

Comment

I played the guitar and built up quite a collection through most of my adult life these have now all been divided out amongst my three sons actually only two wanted them I really have difficulty now playing and that has been the case for about 12-15 years .I loved cabinet making and pride myself on saying I have made some very nice things over the years before that I was heavily into water colours which this winter I fully intend to get back into again ,although it won't be easy to get started off again. I don't consider myself very good as a machinist and now with my health problems will never really be good but I can do enough to do a reasonable job and it brings me great happiness .I don't get to my workshops enough so I intend to force myself each time I have done that it has been good for me. I have a very wonderful wife and 3 very wonderful sons and am very happy with life and don't intend departing any time soon Alistair
                            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

BMX bicycle racing in high school
                              Welding and fabrication.
                              Control line model airplanes
                              Electronics - circuit design and project building
                              Kart racing - Midstate Ohio Kart Club
                              Fishing

Latest is machining.

As all good hobbies go none are ever truly gone and they consume as much as you feed them. I still have my racing kart and will probably run some next year. I still fly control line models from time to time as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X