compact5 belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compact5 belt

hey everyone. trying out this forum after being yelled at over at the practical machinist forum for being a "HOBBYIST".
    I just aquired a little Emco compact5 converted cnc lathe. its in the mail but it does not have a drive belt.
    anyone know what the size (length width) of the belt on these things is so i can buy a suitable replacement before it comes? the seller didnt know.
    pretty sure the drive pulleys havnt been modified so it would be what ever size was standard on these lathes.

Sorry, can't help with your question, but anyway - Welcome to this group.

Lynn

Comment

Welcome,

This is probably what you are looking for:

http://www.unimat.homestead.com/

Comment

hmm not so sure. its definately not a unimat. more akin to a mini lathe than that. but still not so sure it will be the same as Harbor frieght or grizzly since it is form the early eighies and built a good deal better too.
        Having a hard time digging up info on it for some reason

Comment

compact 5 parts

Take a look at www.blueridgemachinery.com They list the following parts:

ZRM406335 Vee belt 6 mm small drive belt 19.50
          ZRM406450 Vee belt 6 mm large drive belt 25.00

Comment

yeah i saw that. price seems a bit steep if you ask me. thats why I was curious if anyone new the dimensions of the belt. Im sure I can find cheaper than that from a belt supplier.

Comment

I like hobbiest many of us here are hobbiests so feel at home also those who are not hobbiests have a lot to learn from us who areand if you have anything you don't know ask me and I'll have a word with his lordshipAlistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I think the department downstairs still has a Compact 5. I will run down and see whether I can get a measurement (provided it has a belt)

Edit-- I just went down and the guy in charge of that shop is not around today. I pulled the side cover and determined that I would have to wrench on his machine to loosen things enough to get the belt off so I am going to forego that for today. I did find, however, that there is a motor pulley, an idler pulley and a gearbox pulley. There are a couple of steps on each of the first two, giving you several speeds with various belt combinations. So, unless you know which belt is toast, you won't know what to order until you get it anyway.

Paul
                Last edited by pcarpenter; 09-12-2007, 05:14 PM.
                Paul Carpenter
                Mapleton, IL

Comment

Im starting to think I need both. belts. hmm well if you can get both measurments Id sure apreciate it.
                  Chris

Comment

Chris:

Check out 8x18Lathe group over on Yahoo. Full details on the EMCO C8.

Comment

O-ring in a pinch,like on a unimat.

It worked on a C-5 cnc for me.

Comment

Hey guys, look! Another "HOBBYIST".

Welcome to the board! Hope you enjoy your stay and hope you have a goodtime when the UPS guy finally gets there !!
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

The small belt on my C5 is 6x335 for the idler pulley
                          and the larger belt is a bit smudged in the printing
                          but most resembles 6x450.. It could be 6x460. There
                          is enough play in the motor mount that either would
                          work. Both are V belts, toothed, with a 6mm width
                          across the base of the V. Not obvious how the small
                          belt is removed as there is not much slack in the
                          system. Interpolating the 335 implies 33.5cm length.
                          The 450 measures about that, (45cm).

Brief search at McMaster shows the closest to be 2L13
                          and 2L18, but not apparently available in toothed versions
                          there. ($4.07 ea). MSC has toothed 2L but not shorter
                          than 2L18 size. ?Motion Industries.
                          Last edited by sch; 09-12-2007, 11:22 PM.
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by guynamedbathgate
                            hey everyone. trying out this forum after being yelled at over at the practical machinist forum for being a "HOBBYIST".
                            I just aquired a little Emco compact5 converted cnc lathe. its in the mail but it does not have a drive belt.
                            anyone know what the size (length width) of the belt on these things is so i can buy a suitable replacement before it comes? the seller didnt know.
                            pretty sure the drive pulleys havnt been modified so it would be what ever size was standard on these lathes.

LOL...seems to a lot of that going around these days.

Don't sweat it....any of us who have had business dealings with Thomas know that he is difficult to deal with.

I would say it is PM's loss and HSM's gain...kick your shoes off and stay for awhile with the rest of the "hobbyists".

And personally I would take being called a "hobbyist" a compliment...just take a peek at what the so called "professionals" over at PM are discussing now...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...c/30/7331.html

Topic: OT...Way OT... Dating barmaids...

How seriously involved with your local pubs barmaid do you have to be before you stop tipping her?
                            I draw the line at "living together" but my buddy says once you've bumped uglies four times...
                            Are there any books on the subject???

LOL...yeah right...really professional. If they ask me, I would say it depends on whether she owns a Bridgeport or not. ;<)

In regards to your Emco belt question, others are giving you other good sites to check for the belt....the 8x18Lathe group over on Yahoo is a great one.

In response to your question on PM about the Sherline cnc rotary table
                            (which was a very good question...shame on you Thomas), I would check the Yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SherlineCNC/

and the site

http://www.cnczone.com/

You will find helpful folks for both the software and hardware needed to make it happen.

In regards to the Emco Compact5 lathe, you are going to love it.

And be sure to show us how your final project turns out....us "hobbyists" here at HSM are actually interested in machining and not just in dating barmaids like the "professionals" at PM are. ;<)

TMT

Comment

Once you bumped Uglies the tipping should stop.
                              When you live together She should tip you.

Comment

Working...
                              X