• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good enough little filer for you guys in U S A

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KELLER-1A-PREC...QQcmdZViewItem
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Reliable Tools, so it'll sell for twice what it would for any other seller

It's also missing the overarm.

I'm beginning to get die filer envy, between Franks' build log and all this other talk
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Hmm, would have saved me HOW many hours of work?

Well, hey, it's not RED!
      Cheers,

Frank Ford
      HomeShopTech

Comment

You see those little Kellers a lot on Ebay, but they're almost always missing the overarm, for some reason.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I honestly don't think I would be put off too much with the missing arm hold downs etc at this price , because the basics are there. I would enjoy the challenge of making them myself. looks a goody otherwise hope someone will get the benefit of it regardsAlistair

Comment

Here's another one with a $350 BIN (and best offer) -- the Reliable price will probably be a lot higher than the one Alistair posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130153765420

Comment

You'll want the hold-down. Better make one. Otherwise the workpiece will be slamming up and down on the table, and pinching you.

DAMHIKT

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

yes exactly the same problem you have with a scrollsaw if you don't have ahold down ouch my little pinkies (Thats fingers to you in the U S A )Alistair

Comment

Wow,
                  I just bought a complete Oliver S-4 at HGR for $99.00. I am beginning to think I got a deal

Comment

In reply to J. Tiers' comments on the filer, you won't want a hold-down because you won't need one. That bit of advice appears to be wholly a product of the imagination. Andy Lofquist

Comment

Originally posted by AJL
                      In reply to J. Tiers' comments on the filer, you won't want a hold-down because you won't need one. That bit of advice appears to be wholly a product of the imagination. Andy Lofquist
                      I agree use less.
                      Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                      http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                      http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by AJL
                        With all due respect to a person who puts out a good line of kits..... That statement is wrong.

I have an Oliver SP-2, and it will in fact pick up a lighter weight piece, and slam it down. It has a long stroke, and a large file will bounce even a reasonably large piece. I have used files with cross-sections up to about 7/8 x 5/16". A small file won't do that, naturally.

Definitely not a figment of imagination. One who claims it is would be suspected of never having used a filer before, except that I know he must have used his own.....

And, if it is imaginary, or "useless", why would nearly every manufacturer of the larger industrial filers put a hold down on their machines?

Now the MLA one may not do that, and I didn't claim IT would. I was referring to the size of the one in the picture. The MLA one is smaller, and will use small files.

I don't mind a difference of opinion, but I DO mind being told it's all in my head..... it was all in my fingers, thank you very much.............. gave me one "blood blister" before I learned the error of my ways.

BTW, a lot of the over-arm function is also to support the file so it won't try to tilt. Most have a feature for that as well as the hold-down
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 09-15-2007, 11:25 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

According to the current manufacturer of the Keller die filer, it was offered with and without the overarms. Yes overarms, it has 2 different ones, one is a roller type and the other is a spring loaded clamping type that can hold saw blades and stones as well as files.

They still sell the overarms as accsesories as well as new die filers. My Keller came without the overarms, and was in new condition. I bought it on Ebay for $90.00 plus shipping and crating. The set of new overarms cost me either $300.00 or $400.00, I can't remember which, I think my not remembering is some kind of bottom feeder ,cheapskate self defense mecanism.

Once you see the overarms it is obvious they can easily be replicated from barstock and weldments and some shop time. They won't look as elegant as the factory ones, but with some filler and paint will make a nice aproximation of the real ones.

I am surprised how much I use mine now, it is very useful to me.

Comment

yep.

I've had a Milwaukee, and the Oliver. The Milwaukee had a file chuck in the plunger that had two moving jaws that would hold a file vertical by itself, so you could use it with no overarm, or with the roller type.

The Oliver has a clamp-type jaw on the plunger as well as overarm, and would not hold a file solidly in just one.

Typical spring-type overarm for files or saws, on the Oliver.

typical roller style, from Milwaukee die filer. It also had a spring type overarm.

Milwaukee spring overarm, with hold-down foot

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Keller

One nice thing about Keller is that they still are in buisness and you can buy spare parts. I bought a Keller 1A Die filer a bit back. It came with the 2 overarms and looked very nice, but there was water in the crankcase and needed to be rebuilt. About $100 or so later I had a nice functioning die filer.

One observation on Reliable and their auctions. It sure seems that what little I have purchased from them looked worse than the photos. Things in person had rust and damage that did not show up in their photos. I think the camera they are using accidentally overexposes the photos and maybe the corrosion unfortunately does not show up as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X