This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, It's supposed to be funny....

But the more you read it the more you see the possibilty of it happening.

http://sigmundcarlandalfred.wordpres...ilities-act-2/
    Non, je ne regrette rien.

Why do you have to post this sh1t here?

Comment

Mo. has a point.

Comment

That is very scary Chief, scary that some of these people are serious ---
        Nature requires all to have certain critical skills, if they dont there a quick meal, only mankind will try and pacify this "in the name of humanity"

stop and think about it --- Its a matter of time before the sick and weak are the majority (has it already happend?) then the workload gets even bigger for the few strong, the house of cards will inevitably fail and it usually happens abruptly...

Nature is cruel to some, if they cant keep up they are eliminated, but in the name of humanity mankind will take what would have been over with in a half minute and drag the suffering on for 90+ years....

Not saying I know the answer, but I know what it shouldnt be...
        Im also not talking about a pysically crippled person but am refering to someone treating lack of ambition like its a disability, anyone who is not fully retarded can apply themselves and learn a meaningful task, hell --- even the fully retarded have proven to do just that...

Comment

It's not funny.

But it could be the way of the future. As a manufacturing engineer, I am under constant pressure to design products that can't be assembled wrong and processes, environments and tools that make it easier for the employee to do the job. In manufacturing, many cases of pure and simple incompetence or lack of ability can be overcome. Short of firing, lack of ambition and laziness can't.

Laws, such as proposed in the joke, would take away the firing option. Indeed, the effect of such laws already exist in the form of union contracts and some forms of social legislation.

This is not a new thing. Years ago, when I owned a small business, I had to deal with government agencies and private, but government subsidized businesses. These seemed to be the employers of last resort. The people that I was forced to deal with - those who had some measure of power over me or my business - would never have been hired into my business.

The near-ultimate insult would be to fire a lazy employee, only to have that person show up at your door a month later as a government inspector with power. I think such things happen.
          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Once again I refer all to the short story "The Marching Morons" by Cyril Kornbluth.

Quote from Ben Bova:

The most prescient — and chilling — of all the science fiction stories ever written, though, is “The Marching Morons,” by Cyril M. Kornbluth, first published in 1951. It should be required reading in every school on Earth.
            The point that Kornbluth makes is simple, and scary: dumbbells have more children than geniuses. In “The Marching Morons” he carries that idea to its extreme, but logical, conclusion.
            Kornbluth tells of a future world that is overrun with dummies: men and women who don’t know anything beyond their own shallow personal interests. They don’t know how their society works, or who is running it. All they care about is their personal — and immediate — gratification.

http://www.bonitanews.com/news/2007/...nce_f/?print=1
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
              Once again I refer all to the short story "The Marching Morons" by Cyril Kornbluth.
              About thirty years ago a friend convinced me that, in my ignorance of science fiction, I was really missing something. So I undertook to read most of the classic works, and quite enjoyed it. It's now been about twenty-five years since I've read the genre. Wormholes, dark matter, vacuum energy -- these have all been added to the lore since then.

Recommend, please, a book or two to bring me back up to speed.

P.S. I confess I read all of Clarke's Space Odyssey series, and never did figure out what it was about.
              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

To the nay-sayers...While I read these posts primarily for for the machining content, there are those among us who are just as annoyed by the constant complaining about OT subjects as there are people who feel the need to complain. If you are so upset by OT posters, perhaps you should consider starting your own forum where you can control the content to your personal standards.
                There is no shortage of experts, the trick is knowing which one to listen to!

Comment

Chief, thanks for the post how about Americans With Abilities Act

Chief,

Thanks for the post.

I work as a Manufacturing Engineer at a large company. I find myself feeling as an outcast sometimes because I can design, build, set up and run just about anything. I came thru the ranks, paid my dues, and I am proud of that.

I find myself surrounded by many people who, although those tasks are in their job descriptions and they were hired to do those tasks, can do none of the listed tasks. I strive to make accommodations for them, and feel that my efforts would be more fruitful if they gave a ****.

When I hear an operator say, why don't you try doing my job, I explain to them that although I could easily do their job and make them look bad, since they have no clue how to do my job, I need to do my job if I hope to make them look adequate.

I have a saying that no one I work with likes, I can not help myself from saying it, and it goes like this: I can do anything, but I can not do everything.

I can not understand the lack of motivation I see. I have always been able to derive motivation from a mortgage, toy payments, desire to provide my family with creature comforts, etc, etc.

I have one thing going for me that very few of my coworkers have, I love doing what I do. I love it so much that when I have spare time, after the "have to do tasks" are done, I do it for free (hobby). I look forward to learning and understanding manufacturing processes. That has been the key to my success in manufacturing.

The slacker/operator/marginal employee thing has puzzled me, I could not understand people driving junk cars, living in trailer parks, dirty dumb kids, missing work and the overtime it brings.

I would rather work with someone who knows nothing but wants to learn than a lazy genius. If I had one or two motivated operators, I could send 6 home.

I do enjoy looking like a model employee and being a key employee just from showing up and knowing what I am talking about... Job security is priceless.

RANT MODE OFF.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Tipton
                    To the nay-sayers...While I read these posts primarily for for the machining content, there are those among us who are just as annoyed by the constant complaining about OT subjects as there are people who feel the need to complain. If you are so upset by OT posters, perhaps you should consider starting your own forum where you can control the content to your personal standards.
                    I could fill up this forum with OT political and religious post if you would like.

Comment

I was just reading the new Popular Mechanics and It talks about how things have changed since the early-mid 1900's. Kids would build things for fun, (boats,go karts, mini bikes,,,) along with the time spent with thier fathers who would help in the learning.

Now days kids are yapping on the cell phones and playing X-box and are not learning the skills thier fathers and grandfathers had which is very sad.
                      I see kids with thier pants hanging down and thier shoes not tied and think " Who would hire this sloppy looking punk"

This year for X-Mas the kid is getting models , tools and things that get him out of the house to go play with. No more video games, We want him to grow up and be more than a button pusher or a burger flipper.

Comment

MOCHINIST, go ahead...

Moshinist,

Go ahead and post any dribble you want, Just make sure to give it an accurate title so I can ignore it, the moderator can remove it, and you will look silly. Is that your goal?

Get over it. I think the post was relivant to our community, you don't. Move on, don't dwell on it, ignore it if you can, let it go, get a life.

Chief, thanks for the post, I think it really hit home with manufacturing trying to compete in the world market and find qualified people to take over as we retire. I think this is right on topic, keep up the good work, I enjoyed the funny post.

Comment

Recommend, please, a book or two to bring me back up to speed.
                          Sorry Alan, but I don't read fiction any more. I haven't for years as I have too much else I want to do. My favorites though are the hard science fiction stories such as "Dragon's Egg" by Robert L. Forward. They extrapolate hard science to logical conclusions that obey, as much as possible, the "rules" as we know them. I can't stand fantasy or anything else that essentially relies on Deus ex Machina to "work".
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Reality Checker is just some A hole hiding behind a fictional name like Rant Bot. He probably has a good reputation here with his real name and don't want to muck it up.

You don't see me hiding behind a BS name when I flame someone.

Most know me and My name , some even my address and phone #.

So, Yes post away with BS and label it correctly .

Comment

Fiction or prescience? It is interesting, either way.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8...ic=&topic_set=

Comment

Working...
                              X