A decent sucker is required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A decent sucker is required.

I use a shop vac to help chip and clean up the floor. I have a small HF cheapie that I paid $40 for. I have used it for months but the hose finally cracked and broke off.
    The hose as you may figure was non standard very small at 1 3/4. The actual hose size is 1" Yes it did clog many times.

So I decided I need to get another sucker since I can't get a hose. I went to K Mart and found a Sears Craftsmen 9 gal w/4hp and a 2 3/4 dia hose. It cost me $49.

Wow I would never thought HF would be higher priced. Sears has a small sucker the same size as HF and it is $29 and has standard hose.

I got the 9 gal and now I have to be careful not to suck up the tools and vises.

Moral of this story...Not all suckers are made equal. Some suck better and some just suck!
    Life Is Grand

4hp eh? Don't tell me, let me guess. It plugs into a 120v outlet and cord is probably 16-3. Hummmmm. Amazing what they can do now days with the magic of electricity.

Comment

I an rather pleased with two of mine.

1) a Shop-Vac "Hangup" unit.

2) an Emerson one that is similar to the "Hangup" but bulkier.

The Shop-vac is hung up high, and works fine, it just has a smaller hose and sometimes clogs. Hose is about 18 feet long or so, and reaches wherever I need it. I'd recommend it.

The Emerson I got as a product test group member. I wouldn't pay for one, as it is at least $100, and we wrote two pages of hassles/improvements for it.

However, it does work and it has a full size hose (totally non-standard connectors though) and could suck a VW through a blast wall. Hose is about as long as the Shop-Vac, around 15 or 17 feet. Cord is also long. Others with more room might like it.

NOTE after looking at it, I see that the "emerson" one is actually branded "Ridgid", which is an Emerson brand.....
      Last edited by J Tiers; 09-17-2007, 10:13 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Sears vacs are like Lexmark printers -- they sell 'em cheap and then stick it to you on the consumables.

Comment

Ken I hear ya. You are so right. It is quite large though and will suck like mad. I was cleaning chips on the floor and I have a couple gallon cans of WD40 full, and it sucked it and picked it off the floor. I am sure they over rate and exaggerate the hp but it really is quite powerful.

I was surprised with the cost of the filters. First it is washable/reuseable and the cost for a new one was 15.99

Not a bad price since it should last a long time. Let's hope the vac lasts a long time.
          Life Is Grand

Comment

There's nothing wrong with today's consumer grade shop vacs, I don't know why marketers feel they have to lie about their ratings. I have a 16 gal Sears shop vac serving the lathe and mill for the last 18 years. So long as the filter is cleaned/changed regularly and I don't used it for shop dust it sucks like crazy even to drawing chips from T slots.

Most shop vacs can be rejuvinated by a simple filter change. My bro-in-law who works wood more than I do is amazed at how well my shop vac performs, then instantly clogs it up by sucking the sawdust from under my table saw with it instead of using the DC.

Comment

Working...
            X