Need idea on oil stain removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need idea on oil stain removal

Ihave a large, old, nasty motor oil stain on an ashpalt driveway which I need to make go away or hide? Any idea would be a help. (Whining neibghors)
    Non, je ne regrette rien.

Stain the rest of it the same. Asphalt is oil.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

simple been there done it spread liberally biological washing powder over the entire area and leave overnight then wash away worked for me Alistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Hydrated lime made into a paste with mineral turps.
        Spread on the stain and cover with poly sheet or similar, and hold down with sand around the edges.
        Leave for a day or five, depending on stain.
        Worked wonders on some rental properties I've renovated.
        Just got my head together
        now my body's falling apart

Comment

Dig hole in driveway with shovel.
          Get neighbours to stand in hole.
          Whack over head with shovel.
          Refill hole.
          Re tarmac.
          This way it solves two problems.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Asphalt is oil

Evan,
            I am aware that oil is a component of asphalt, did you know that wooly mammoth dung is increasing global warming?

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...AT.xml&src=rss
            Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

first soak stain with biological like Alistair said ...

50/50 solution ...very hot water ...

build dam of bricks around it ...
              place hose into dam ...and let water pour over it for several hours .

oil will float out and over the bricks.

when rainbow pattern has stopped on the surface of the water ...you are done

all the best..mark

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                Dig hole in driveway with shovel.
                Get neighbours to stand in hole.
                Whack over head with shovel.
                Refill hole.
                Re tarmac.
                This way it solves two problems.

Best idea yet.

Or if it bothers your neighbors so much, let them clean it. Personally I'd tell my neighbor to MYOB, its not his drive.
                Ignorance is curable through education.

Comment

JUST ride by, borrow my $250 steam genie/pressure washer, blow asphalt clean, laugh like hell, find something to complain about at the neighbors, cars on street, rotten kids, ugly wives, houses painted wrong color, grass is too green too little landscaping, etc. Unhappy people, complain constantly. Seems I thought they all lived next door to me. I guess you got some too.

It has worked on my garage floor two dozen times now. I was going to rent one to clean the 41 truck frame, I figure I am about $2k ahead right now.
                  Last edited by Dawai; 09-18-2007, 11:19 AM.
                  Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

I was only part joking. Paint the driveway with asphalt sealer. Since asphalt is made with oil it should be compatible and it will look like new with no stain.

Comment

Trying to remember the "folks" who used to go around sealing driveways with low grade paint. They made a movie about them, a whole klan of folks, they sold knock off travel trailers too.
                      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

paint a bright green smiley face over the stain.
                        put two more smaller round stains on top of the big stain and tell them it is Mickey Mouse.
                        put a huge, old, nasty rusted pickup in the driveway over the stain.

i am SO glad i don't have any neighbors (or at least none that care what i do or what my driveway looks like).

andy b.
                        The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

I've got ATF stains all over our driveway - i generally hide them beneath a big rusty truck as Andy says.

Its part of that desensitizing deal that i think CCWKen mentioned; get rid of the old truck and the neigbhors are so happy at having the junker gone they dont notice the fluid stain.

Although i like Evan's idea - a good use of all the old ATF i have sitting around. Dont think the fish in the local pond would like the run off though ...

Comment

If anybody has enough nerve to complain about how my driveway looks I won't plow theirs next time it snows heavy. As you may guess I don't get any complaints. I couldn't stand to live anywhere with neighbours like that. They would likely find themselves the recipient of an accidentally delivered to the wrong address truck load of chicken manure.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                              If anybody has enough nerve to complain about how my driveway looks I won't plow theirs next time it snows heavy. As you may guess I don't get any complaints. I couldn't stand to live anywhere with neighbours like that. They would likely find themselves the recipient of an accidentally delivered to the wrong address truck load of chicken manure.

yikes ... that woulda sorta backfire around here. We're packed in so close together i'd be smelling their chicken s**t for weeks

Comment

Working...
                              X