• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's how I delt with a set of Stewart - Tuner 7A cylinders
    The boring head is frm my mill
    C-clamp is to take up wear in that area

George from Conyers Ga.
    Remember
    The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

George, why did you use your lathe instead of your mill to bore the cylinders? Was it to use the power feed?

Comment

Heavy,
        IMHO I did not have a way to secure it. Nothing was machined. I used two centers one in each end of cylinder then adjusted mill attch to fit. All subsuent machining will be done in the mill.
        I will loctite a rod in the bore then machine between two V blocks to make sure that every thing is square with bore.

Just went back and read your post again Yes the power feed helped
        George from Conyers Ga.
        Remember
        The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

I got the 4 inch milling attachment and put it on the lathe this morning. It very well on the 14" Hendey and should be rigid enough if I take care. It is a world better than the attachment I have on my 12" Atlas lathe. The main problem is the range of travel across the lathe, could use a couple more inches but that is a function of the lathe, not the attachment. A crank would also be better for the Z axix feed than the knob they are using now. All in all, I'm quite satisfied.
          Last edited by heavysteamer; 09-30-2007, 03:26 PM. Reason: correct spelling.

Comment

..........This is what I did to provide a bit more rigid setup then using the compound T slot:

I bought a dual toolpost cross slide for my 11" Logan. Turns out it wasn't made BY Logan, but the dovetail measurements mentioned in the description fit. IIRC it was about $70. I used a friend's mill to make the T nuts to fit. I used a piece of 1/2x4" HR for the plate. In the photo I'm setting up the plate to be perpendiculer to the spindle axis.

The above photo is of the Palmgren milling attachment mounted. As several others have mentioned, you MUST use lite cuts and feeds. Locking down the gib to the cross slide helps. However, setting the rigidity issue aside, like any other operation setup is of primary importance. If setup accurately there is no problem in being able to produce as accurate work as any other machine.

Rick
            Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.

Comment

My friend PiPPi in Sweden demonstrates extreme milling on a lathe with a Haas programmable indexer:

http://uglytech.com/uglytech.nsf/NewIFPics?OpenFrameSet

Look for the throttle body link in the menu. He's building a fuel injected Harley dragster engine and in this series he's building the fuel injector from a carburetor.

Comment

Working...
              X