scattershot device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scattershot device

This hand-forged device is mounted outside a door at Scotty's Castle, a 1920s mansion built in a remote part of Death Valley, and open for tours. It covers a loophole through the outer wall. Its purpose is to spread a shotgun blast from inside the house into a pattern which will spray shot in two directions. I guess it would be effective only on interlopers who thought that hiding close to the wall was a good idea.

The tour guide didn't give it a name. Anybody know what it is called?

Allan Ostling

It's called a darnedifIknow! Other name for it is a neverseenoneofthembefore!
    mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

I dont know but a half dozen of them would make for some very nice decorative sconces (sp?) in my main room, put a little 25 wt bulb in them and mount them up high --- very nice...

Comment

Maggie thatchers saddle for the iron lady.looks very nice though.Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Exercising my Google Fu to the maximum as well as having grown up in California I find that a small gun port in a wall is a Tronerilla (pronounced tron-air-reeya). It's the Spanish diminutive of Tronera which is a gun port in a ship's hull or a building wall. For such a small port the diminutive is appropriate. As for the iron cover itself I can't say for sure but it may well have the same name.

Tronera also has certain slang uses related to the fact that it designates a small hole you shoot into. I leave the rest to the imagination of the reader. Tronera is also used in a generic sense to refer to an opening into which something goes or from which something issues. It also means Porthole.

You might want to do some searching in Italian or Portuguese as well.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I'd call it a 'Shot Disperser' and be done with it.

Comment

It has a much more important function than dispersing the shot. It prevents someone on the outside from shooting in through the port.

Comment

Ok, we'll call it a 'One-way Shot Disperser' then.

Comment

Bullet diode

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
                    This hand-forged device is mounted outside a door at Scotty's Castle, a 1920s mansion built in a remote part of Death Valley, and open for tours. It covers a loophole through the outer wall. Its purpose is to spread a shotgun blast from inside the house into a pattern which will spray shot in two directions. I guess it would be effective only on interlopers who thought that hiding close to the wall was a good idea.

The tour guide didn't give it a name. Anybody know what it is called?

I do not know what it would be called. But I would not stick a loaded shotgun into a hole and pull the trigger with that thing anywhere near the end of the barrel.
                    Gene

Comment

Being unable to shoot INTO the port with this casting inplace would be kind of ridiculous if you can't shoot out of it.

You can't see OUT of it, and there sure as heck is no way that you are going to spray shot to each side. It won't "scatter", it will "splatter", solid chunk of lead, for all intents and puposes, with the muzzle pressed into that hole against or close to any wedging action cast into it.

Nor can anybody see INTO the hole. Call it decorative.

Cheers,

George

Evan,

I missed that. You're right. You can't shoot out because you are "splattering" the shot on the supposed wedge. BUT, you could stand to the side and stick your barrel into one of the cups and make a right angle shot INTO the fortress or home.

I prefer to think if it WERE something sold a couple hundred years ago, it was the same as a Popiel schtick would be today. Suckers are not ALL 20th century. Tulip mania, do you recall?
                      Last edited by gmatov; 09-22-2007, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Perhaps just a safety covered vent hole? Open windows can be seen through, and shot through. Also, any breeze that comes in along an angle will track down the wall. That thing could be used to direct airflow?
                        Russ
                        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

would have to see inside, If is the hole a cylender which would mean it's a vent as the only way to shoot would be directly at the iron which may give the results stated above. But if it were conical, or had tapered sides it would allow one to angle the shot gun favorably to richochet off of it and give the hoped for results.

other option is that it psychological, if people 'know' that it will scatter the shot around they will likely stand in an area out of it's range, which with forethought could be used to place them in a more favorable position for the defenders.

Though being built in the 20's it could have been a copy of an actual scattershield with none of the function. Similar to the way gas valves, kerosene tanks, and chimneys are incorporated in some electric light fixtures today.

Ken.

Comment

I have been there and seen the device myself, many years ago. I still have a picture in my head of the dooway and the inside of the room. What I can't pick out is what the tronerilla looks like from the inside.

I suspect it is a wedge shaped slot allowing the barrel to be angled as much as 45 degrees either direction, left or right.

Chances are it looks something like this Tronera (gun port) but smaller.

Comment

Well that does it, I'll never "interlope" at Evan's place. He's got one too

Comment

Working...
                              X