• Gun with no bullets ..and dumb friend

Take a look at this

is it a spoof ..
    or do you really think that guys letting himself be zapped with mnicrowaves

http://www.metacafe.com/w/587507

all the best.mark

microwave gun

Hi Mark,

I didn't see where the magnetron was getting any high voltage when it was installed in the toolbox. A magnetron needs a ~3000 volt power supply. The telescope eyepiece is not going to focus microwave energy either. I'd say it was a fake, although I did read recently that the US Army has a similar concept energy weapon to use in crowd control. It sits on a big truck, I think. We're not quite into the Buck Rogers/War of the Worlds death ray yet.

Doug

Comment

not with that weak unit at 200'. Remember how long it takes to boil water in a microwave cabinet.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Ahhh, total BS..

I worked on microwave circuits for some time.

The Mag. is not getting enough supply power as already described. Including many other considerations.

The Mag. is gonna be toast even when he connected it to a proper power supply. Standing waves and reflected waves will cook it. You have to have the output tuned to the load. A copper tube with aluminum foil or an eyepiece from whatever is not gonna be a tuned load.

Even if it was hooked up to a proper power supply and a good load (feedhorn) it is not gonna have any power past a few inches.

I operated a continuous wave radar that had some power. Continuous wave at a Mega watt, at the feedhorn. We could cook a chicken on a broom stick at twenty feet, but that would still take longer than a bird in the microwave oven.

To create a million watts we had to pump our tube, a klystron not a magnatron (we used the mag for the pulsed radar) with fifty amps at fifty thousand volts, major supply.

Oh, and you wouldnt get an immediate response from you target person. They would start to cook from within their body as their water got warm slowly. Not something you notice real quick, not until you go to the doctor and he tells you, you have overheated.. JRouche
        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche
          To create a million watts we had to pump our tube, a klystron not a magnatron (we used the mag for the pulsed radar) with fifty amps at fifty thousand volts, major supply.
          a friend of mine used to deal in military surplus. one time in a box of junk were three wooden crates in the bottom. inside the crates were three klystron tubes (fire-engine red and in perfect condition). we tried to figure out where we could come up with a power supply, but no luck, so he ended up re-selling them. i would've loved to fire one up!

andy b.
          The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Originally posted by andy_b
            a friend of mine used to deal in military surplus. one time in a box of junk were three wooden crates in the bottom. inside the crates were three klystron tubes (fire-engine red and in perfect condition). we tried to figure out where we could come up with a power supply, but no luck, so he ended up re-selling them. i would've loved to fire one up!
            andy b.
            Funny. Sounds just like the type we had. They were water cooled so there were the power leads and cooling lines. Fire engine red too. Oh, they were also about fifty grand a piece and we would eat through six to ten a year. Thats on a system using two of them.

Oh yeah, you dont wanna fire one off either, even if you could muster up the correct power which is doubtful. A 2.5 million watt power supply is difficult to come by.

But the reason you dont want to light that tube off is cause the X-rays are gonna kill you. Yep, the body of the tube becomes a great X-ray generator when fed with the correct input frequency around ten gig, and the correct power levels, 2.5 mega watts. The metal tube body emits a tremendous amount of X-rays. Gotta protect yer self. JRouche
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche
              Funny. Sounds just like the type we had. They were water cooled so there were the power leads and cooling lines. Fire engine red too. Oh, they were also about fifty grand a piece and we would eat through six to ten a year. Thats on a system using two of them.

Oh yeah, you dont wanna fire one off either, even if you could muster up the correct power which is doubtful. A 2.5 million watt power supply is difficult to come by.

But the reason you dont want to light that tube off is cause the X-rays are gonna kill you. Yep, the body of the tube becomes a great X-ray generator when fed with the correct input frequency around ten gig, and the correct power levels, 2.5 mega watts. The metal tube body emits a tremendous amount of X-rays. Gotta protect yer self. JRouche
              yup, these had power a leads and cooling lines. we were just thinking crazy thoughts about powering one up. even if we could've found a power supply, we wouldn't have turned it on (unless we had a 1000' power cord). i wish i had one to put on my wall though. they looked like something from a Buck Rogers movie.

andy b.
              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Working...
              X