Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyless chuck HELP!!

Hi Guys,

I have a Bison keyless chuck that just jammed on me.

It wasn't during operation, but when I was just about to open it up to put a drill in....it just got stuck and wouldn't open or close at all.

I took it out of the machine and jently tapped it with a dead-blow but I didn't want to do anything too rough without checking in here to see if anyone had any suggestions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm kind of in the middle of something

John

I suspect metal chips are in the threads of the jaws or maybe the jaw threads chiped and locked up. Tear it down. You'll have to shelve the chuck if your in a hurry.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Turn it the right way?

Comment

Probably got a metal chip in it like someone said, if it is anything like an albrecht keyless chuck they come apart pretty easily for rebuilding and repair.

http://www.albrechtchucks.com/faq.cfm
        http://www.albrechtchucks.com/tech_i...nformation.cfm

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I had a chance to look at it tonight, and I'm still at an impass. I looked at the posted links (thanks mochinist) and consulted Guy Lautard's book.

I used a slide-hammer-type deal to remove the arbor from the chuck, and the first bit of instruction on the website and in the book is: "remove the collar"....the other steps get a bit more info but not that step.

Problem is, I'm not sure how as it's not threaded and I don't know if it's supposed to be pressed off or what....If so, I don't have the means to carefully press it off.

The rest of the process seems a bit less cryptic, but I'm stuck as of now.

I love the performance of the chuck, so I don't want to make some bonehead move that'll ruin it's accuracy.....any further help would be great!

John

Comment

Working...
          X