What're your diamond lap preferences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What're your diamond lap preferences?

I made a little money on last weekend's project and it's burning a hole in my shop apron pocket. One of the items on my tool acquisition list is a small selection of diamond laps. A Google search turned up the "Eze-Lap" brand which looks very good but my usual supplier, Enco, only lists a puny 1/4" x 6" or 3/4" x 2" size and no rounds in that brand. They have another brand listed with the polka-dotted configuration. Any advantages to either style? Where do you fellers get yours?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

I prefer a diamond lap DANCE. Or is that a triangle...?

Comment

Hmmmm, never tried one of those. I figured the tempering process after the tool was fully hardened would be too slow for me. I'm way too impatient.

By the way, my question was about tool SHARPENING, not hardening.
      Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I have used E-Z Lap hones for twenty-five years and they ar great. I have worn out one medium grit 2x6 and a 2 1/2x12 is getting VERY smooth. In the meantime, I have tried some off-shore products that are just fine. One, from Busy Bee, (Harbor Freight probably have something similar,) is a set of three 2x6 hones on plastic backs, xfine, fine, coarse, for about ten bucks. they are Chinese for sure, but at the price, I cannot aford to care.
        Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Likewise, used E-Z laps for years, on carbide and HSS.
          Get em for a few bucks at any fishing/camping store.
          Just got my head together
          now my body's falling apart

Comment

Eze-Lap are the deal.

Next step after that is an Accu-Finish. (Glendo)

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

One more vote for EZ-Lap. They're cheap enough and really handy:

I use these little five buck plastic ones on all kinds of cutters from carbide lathe tools to my pocket knife.

Cheers,

Frank Ford
              FRETS.COM
              Gryphon Stringed Instruments
              My Home Shop Pages
              Cheers,

Frank Ford
              HomeShopTech

Comment

What're your diamond lap preferences?

EZ Lap are all you need for most tooling touchups. You can even get them at WalMart in the fishing section. I bought my last set from MSC industrial for about $25 for all three, fine (red), medium (purple), and coarse (black). They last longer if you use water on them to wash out the metal dust, at least that is what the flier with them said.
                Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Are those plastic backed ones the same ones that have all the perforations in them? If so, the ones I had worked ok to start with, though the holes were often agravating snagging point in them. But they didn't hold up well at all. Maybe it was a bad batch, maybe it was me, but I didn't replace them.

I got some of the enco 1/4" rods for uses exactly as demonstrated by Frank. Most often used to touch up drill points, or add a land for brass/bronze drilling. I also use them for touching up lathe tools. I find I like them MUCH better than the plastic laps.
                  Russ
                  Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

NO, they are flat plates with no holes, on a plastic stick.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Thanks expert dudes, et alii. Looks like EZ-Lap is the ticket. A quick Google search showed that Bass Pro Shop has a 2 x 6" lap and 2 pocket laps, both flat & round. Coincidentally, the purchase will financially extinguish the burn in my shop apron pocket.

Hopefully, the local store has em' in stock.

Thanks ya'll!
                      Milton

Comment

Heh. This thread reminded me of an old "stone" I had from a time "long ago" when I was substantially into knives and such (for practical use). So I went and took a look at the accumulated and stored (and subsequently forgotten) paraphernalia. Setting just where I remembered was a thin slip stone mounted to a wooden paddle. Printed on the back is "EZ Lapp Diamond Stone". That's going to the shop...
                        Russ
                        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Working...
                        X