Federal DTI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal DTI

I picked up a toolbox w/tools at an auction this past w/e. Several of the items suffered from the box being stored in a damp location, but most stuff can be saved. Besides, I got it cheap. Anyway:

One of the items is a Federal dial test indicator, that reads in tenths. Although the lever can be moved, the dial is totally stuck. However, there's a little projection on one side that almost appears to be a locking lever. I can't move it with my fingers; is it a lock, or what?

Any recommendations as to a repair facility?

TIA: <<Jim>>

The lever on the side reverses the working direction of the tip. The lever must be fully engaged in either direction for the needle to move.

Comment

Yep, just as Virgil says. They work just like the Starrett "Last Word"s that everyone likes, though why I don't know.
      Russ
      Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Thanks for the info! I have 2 other DTIs, an InterRapid and a Chinese job that was included with my Noga mag base, neither have the little lever. Will try to find a place that repair DTIs and get it fixed.

Comment

No idea where you are, but these guys are right down the street from me and do a good job

http://www.pstrinc.com/
          http://www.pstrinc.com/F3%20-%20REPAIRS.htm

Comment

Throw it away and buy a Starrett or an Mitutoyo. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a Federal, if it's not actually broken. IMO, they are as good as a Starrett Last Word (ooh, heresy!), and generally have a better resolution on the dial due to size (which can be a liability too). But for general use, I much prefer a B&S "BestTest" or Interrapid, followed by Mitu. I've got 2 Starrett Last Words and just don't understand all the hubub. I use them, and sometimes they are "just the thing" (plus one has a nice shop made jig for it), but they are never the one I reach for in general use.
              Russ
              Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

I dropped it off at T&S Supply in Toledo to be sent in for repair. They will call with the cost before proceeding. A friend has used their services on several occassions and was pleased with the results. As I said, I already have a couple of DTIs, but what the heck.

Comment

Working...
                X