Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press Selection

Hi everyone.

Has anyone used this drill press? Quality wise? Longevity?

Grizzly G7944

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G7944

Thanks
    Jim

I have not used the grizzly, however I have used (at work) the Jet, Craftsmen and the delta that appear to be the same as that one. They did not last 3 months. The idler pulley arm gets stiff. The chuck is soft as butter and the plastic box on the front that holds the switch likes to fall off. Keep in mind that they are used in a factory running 24 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week

Comment

Originally posted by JSGAuto
      Spend a little time searching for an old American made 15" DP, Craftsman, Atlas, Delta, etc. They can be found for the less than the Grizzly.

Look at the base of that DP, doesn't look very stable with that small a foot print, does it?

The chuck likely is on a Morse arbor. They tend to fall out. The old USA presses used a Jacobs 33 mount to the quill with a locking collar.

This one is a generic piece of import junk.

Comment

agree it's not top of the line, but I have the 'clarke' version of that DP, it's about 10 years old now and still works good.
        Not the greatest, but a useable DP.

When I first got it it's 'standard' job was to put 2.5" holes in 1" steel, used bimetal hole saws, set it for low speed and hooked a bungee to the downfeed and walked away to do other things. for stopping I had a switch run to the power cord that was tripped when a small dowel/screw on the spider came around far enough, must have punched 500 holes that way.

Currently don't use it but that's because I now have a smaller garage, so loaned it to my buddy, and use the bench-top atlas instead.

Ken.

Comment

I just lucked onto a 20" US made (pre 200??) Weldon VSG (variable speed gear head) for $500. They do exist. However, when shopping, pay close attention to speeds. Lots of the larger presses saw duty in wood shops and have low speeds too fast to run anything bigger than a 1/2" drill bit. Of course, same thing applies to new. On mine, I'm a bit concerned with the high speed being limited to 1200 rpm, but time will tell, and I do have a small high speed press for the really small stuff.

On the original question, I have (my previous main drill press) a 16 speed 16" (IIRC) HF drill press that looks a lot like that one, but with the heavy cast down feed handle (which I like MUCH better than the rods!). Other than the chuck, which was quite the POS, it's actually a very decent little home shop drill press. Seems like it cost me around $200 and I picked it up in the store. Once I mounted a 1/2" Albrecht on it, with an 18N used for large S&D bits (don't want to use a keyless on those!!!), it's done everything I've asked of it. If I can stand the room, I'm even considering keeping it along with the Wilton, and just leave it set for higher speeds.
          Russ
          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

I thnk this is the one I have. I got mine on sale for around 30% off.
            Russ
            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I will keep my eyes open for something made in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by JSGAuto
                Hi everyone.

Has anyone used this drill press? Quality wise? Longevity?

Grizzly G7944

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G7944

Thanks
                Jim
                i have a Craftsman that is similar to that one. it is at least 15 years old and i haven't had any trouble with it. while a higher quality used one may be a better deal, it all depends on how long you want to search for one and how much you plan on abusing it. the biggest problem with mine is it doesn't go slow enough to use anything over about a 3/4" bit/holesaw. i could probably rig up a jackshaft to slow it down, but i don't drill a lot of 2" holes.

andy b.
                The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Originally posted by DR

The chuck likely is on a Morse arbor. They tend to fall out. The old USA presses used a Jacobs 33 mount to the quill with a locking collar.
                  Not the bigger ones.... they all use a MT3 or larger mount. A properly made taper will hold very well, with no tendency to fall out.

Only the smaller DPs use a permanent JT33 on the spindle.

I have an 18" Clausing with an MT3, and it has never fallen out.

Now my old asian POS did like to drop its MT2 taper, but the taper was as-turned, unpolished, and had also been beat on by monkeys and cretins for 15 years.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

drill press

For what it's worth, I picked up a 1979 made in Taiwan 12" drill press for practically nothing - a Harbor Freight model. I replaced the chuck with a Czech made one that I got on clearance and have had no problems with it.
                    FYI - co. where I work has two beat to hell South Bends that have to be 40 - 50 years old - they still run on the original motors.

If you go to auctions, you can get these smaller asian drill presses for $25 - $50 - usually with a cheap vise, too.

Tom

Comment

We had that Grizzly at work for awhile- I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Too much runout for drilling anything but the roughest of holes.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                        Not the bigger ones.... they all use a MT3 or larger mount. A properly made taper will hold very well, with no tendency to fall out.

Only the smaller DPs use a permanent JT33 on the spindle.

I have an 18" Clausing with an MT3, and it has never fallen out.

Now my old asian POS did like to drop its MT2 taper, but the taper was as-turned, unpolished, and had also been beat on by monkeys and cretins for 15 years.
                        The typical, basic 1/2" capacity, 15" American dp's used the JT33 integral quill mount. Some had an optional removable spindle nose with a MT2. They had a 2-3/4" column, tables between brands were mostly interchangeable.

As to your MT3 never falling out, have you every used a large tapping head in it? The 17" Rockwell I had used the MT3 taper. We put a set screw through the bottom of the taper to bare against inserted taper to hold it. Heavy tapping 5/8"+ in steel puts quite a pull on the taper as the tap is coming out of the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by DR
                          As to your MT3 never falling out, have you every used a large tapping head in it? The 17" Rockwell I had used the MT3 taper. We put a set screw through the bottom of the taper to bare against inserted taper to hold it. Heavy tapping 5/8"+ in steel puts quite a pull on the taper as the tap is coming out of the hole.
                          Haven't used one.....

But I don't recall the OP specifying use with a heavy tapping head..... And since the ones I have seen had MT shanks, I guess it isn't so bad as you say.

If I want to put in a taper drill, I have to do some tapping on the wedge, so I'd bet on it being OK......

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                          X