OT-Replacing a watch battery....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-Replacing a watch battery....

Well, I've gotten the back off and replaced the battery, but I can't get the back, back on for nuthin!

It'a a Timex, nothing expensive for my wife. The back pried off, had a little tab to pry against. It was tight, but popped off. Now, it seems the back is oversize to fit back into the case.

I did try freezing the back, but still a no-go. Is there a trick I'm missing?

They make a little arbor press of sorts for watch backs that are pressed in place. The key here is that by having a face that covers the entire surface of the watch back, it is pressed in place *squarely*. The fit is tight enough that you cannot start one edge in and then squeeze your way around to the other side. I've also handled some where if you tried to use your thumb in the center of the back, you could actually flex the back in the middle....which serves to spread the mating ridge on the back outward....making the problem worse.

Perhaps if you can visualize this, you can come up with something that allows you to provide pressure squarely across the entire back, spanning the ring that actually snaps into place.

Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

Comment

Try a bigger hammer............
      RPease

Comment

Well, the trick might be to use a short piece of pipe to support the back, then press the body of the watch down onto it. The pipe would support only the edge of the back, so would not flex the outer edge outwards.

Probably a suitably sized socket would work in place of the pipe.

I had a timex decades ago, and if I'm not mistaken, the back wanted to be oriented properly before it snapped in easily. Is there any kind of locating marks that should be aligned?

Just another stab in the dark, but maybe you could use a light smear of o-ring lube or similar around the back to help it pop in.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Yeah...regarding orienting the back, this may be stating the obvious, but most of them have a flange that "tucks in" when you press the back in place and that flange is often deep enough that it must contain a notch for the stem. So, do be sure to line that up or you may shear the stem off or bend it.

I found that if you have a flat disk, it will apply pressure evenly across the entire back. The pipe or socket idea could work if you found one that contacted at precisely the point where the back insets into the case, but a flat surfaced arbor of sorts will likely be easier. The little watch case press I talked about had a nylon flat disk as I recall. This is complicated by the fact that some watch crystals have "features" on them that may keep them from laying flat.
          Paul
          Paul Carpenter
          Mapleton, IL

Comment

I take them to wal-mart they do it for the price of the battery.

Comment

lay the back flat on a table or bench and press the body on with your palm (not heel) of your hand.
              Always worked for me
              Just got my head together
              now my body's falling apart

Comment

Wal-Mart (at least my local one) won't put batteries in some watches, they told me that when I got a battery for my "Fossile" brand watch. They did loan me the tool and I did it right there.
                Steve

Comment

What's a watch?
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Battery

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
                    lay the back flat on a table or bench and press the body on with your palm (not heel) of your hand.
                    Always worked for me
                    Yes Lin - same here.

But given our connection with the sea etc. if the situation needs some "heavy" work, I guess it might be a case of "a Salt and battery".

Sorr-e-e-e-e-e

Comment

Watch back

They can be a real PITA to get back in. I used to change the battery in my mother-in-law's watch every eight months or so. Lovely old lady, but I cursed her watch every time.

Try a machinist's clamp - the bigger, the better. Put some padding between the clamp and the watch (on both sides, but softer on the "crystal" side - I'd put a piece of leather on the "back" side) and slowly turn the screw, keeping it parallel. It ought to pop back in neatly. I suppose you could do the same thing in an inspection vise, but I'd be afraid of putting too much "screw" to it.

Good luck! -Pete in New Jersey
                      Pete in NJ

Comment

Working...
                      X