Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unicycle Stephenson's Rocket

Well OK not quite.

Test piece for setting a new X3 CNC up before shipping off to the customer.

Quick deburr and clean.

Two tools, 6mm for clearing the pocket out, takes 12 minutes and a 3mm to cut the spokes, 23 minutes at 1mm per pass.
    Probably run faster but sooner take the time and not break any cutters.

Material is EN8, about 3" diameter, 3/8" thick, probably equal to your 1050 or there abouts, just a tad tougher than mild steel.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Ah, very, very nice. That cute little spiral in the center bore is just icing on the cake. Thanks for pictures.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

The beauty of CNC - 35 minutes total and a single setup.

Just imagine how long, and how many setups, that would have taken to do manually - and there are quite a few of these on a loco...!

John, out of interest, how long does it take to program and prove the tool path on something like this?

Peter

Comment

Very well done John Had you asked my advice I would have done it much quicker,using the off ruleAlistair ps well done seriously
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Peter.

From a DXF drawing of the part it takes about 13 minutes in Dolphin to generate the profiles you want to cut then you move to the CAM side.

That takes about the same for this part and that includes watching the simulation on the screen and going back to make any changes.

Only when you are happy with the simulation do you press the button to get the code.
          Because you can tweak the post processor in Dolphin to get just what you want the code should run perfect first time.

The only editing I ever need to do is probably tweak the feed on the machine either way depending on how it's cutting.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

It seems to me your having fun with your development of the mill as you go along John,I think there has got to be a little fun along the way don't you guys ?Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
            X