Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lifting a milling machine over the house....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting a milling machine over the house....

I've got a 9 x 42" milling maching sitting in my garage. The only way I'm getting this thing into my backyard / walkout basement is by having a crane come out and lift it over the house. I also need to take the table off at some time so it can fit through my 30" wide door. I dont think I can jocky it through w/ the table on because because of an exposed 4"diameter pipe right by the door. I'm also vertically challenged in that I'll have to turn the head upside down to get it through the door also.

So.....The crane company will be using straps to lift the mill by the Ram. Do you think I should take the table off before or after they lift it over the house.....What about the Head.... should it be upside down or upright during the move.....What way do you think it would balance out best. I need to set the milling maching down on a pallet jack and wheel it into the house.

Any thoughts or suggestions.....Since it snowed 4 inches last night I may have a week to think about it.

Thanks!........Krems

Holy crap take some pictures! that would be a site, No way you can get it back there with a complete dissasembly? my mill is smaller (1550 lbs.) but thats what I did, the base is your biggest worry but they make some stout ass furnuture dollys that would hold it, it took me and my neighbor and a come-along to get my base in my basement down some very steep steps...

Oh yeah -- make sure nobodys in the house...

Comment

No advise, just good luck on that. I would love to see some pictures. It makes me grateful that I could drive a semi into my backyard if needed.

Comment

I'm starting to question my decision to buy a milling machine. I'm in too deep now to back out. I had my friend all lined up to use his gradall machine to both lift the mill off the truck and drive it around through the field and into my back yard. Too wet and too many side hills to worry about. Less stress to crane it over the house....if you can believe that. I'll take some pictures. Disasembly will be the last resort.

I put a hot tub on my deck 5 years ago and that was also lifted over the house w/ a crane. I feel a little better about using the crane because of this. What a pain in the arse.

I'm still trying to figure out how the mill would balance best on the crane when being lifted by straps around the ram.

krems

Comment

Originally posted by krems
          I'm starting to question my decision to buy a milling machine. I'm in too deep now to back out. I had my friend all lined up to use his gradall machine to both lift the mill off the truck and drive it around through the field and into my back yard. Too wet and too many side hills to worry about. Less stress to crane it over the house....if you can believe that. I'll take some pictures. Disasembly will be the last resort.

I put a hot tub on my deck 5 years ago and that was also lifted over the house w/ a crane. I feel a little better about using the crane because of this. What a pain in the arse.

I'm still trying to figure out how the mill would balance best on the crane when being lifted by straps around the ram.

krems
          Balancing should not be a issue. With the head lowered (rotated) onto the table all of the weight is below the ram. Balancing becomes a consideration when they are lifted from the base or being transported on its base, they are top heavy although lowering the table and rotating the head onto the table minimizes this. In your case, all the weight is below the lift point.

Cranes don't usually come cheap... hopefully you have contacts and/or friends. I'd also venture a guess it will take a decent size crane, their lifting capacity drops quickly as the boom is extended and lowered towards horizontal.

This past summer a contractor tipped over a 40 ton crane, lifting a concrete guardrail in a construction zone. The concrete barrier only weighed about 5 ton but the crane had the boom fully extended and nearly horizontal with the outriggers only partially extended to keep them in the lane of traffic, worst case senario on all counts.

Comment

Yeah, with what that crane operation cossts, I would be very temped to do a major component and hand truck move.
            Russ
            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Somewhere on the net there are pics of someone craning a bridgeport over the house into the backyard, just like you're going to do. A BP sure looks tiny way up in the air! He didn't take anything apart.

Regarding that 30" door, again dont take anything apart, take a look at this link to see if this will work for you:

Edit: Sorry, reread your post about your door limitations. Maybe it would be easier to install a slightly wider/taller door?

Jeff
              Last edited by mendoje; 10-06-2007, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Just last week I had a boom truck lift my 12x36 lathe, my 6x26 mill and my 80gal compressor over my house and sat on the concrete landing at the front of my new shop building, cost was $132.00, no way would I have hassled with moving that stuff by hand for what it cost me, that decision was a no brainer. You kinda get a funny feeling when you see that stuff 20 feet above your roof.
                "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Wow, good deal. It cost me (IIRC?) $150 for a boom truck big enough to sit in the alley behind my house, and set the new 5T AC unit on the roof. Took all of 30 minutes, if that, probably more like 15. I can't imagine what it would cost for one big enough to lift 2k and set it on the opposite side of the house.
                  Russ
                  Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Thanks for the link. I remember seeing that on the PM site a while back when I was contemplating buying a mill.

Replacing the door w/ a Taller / wider one is a posibility. I never thought of that. That way I could keep the table on. Good idea.

I've been loosing sleep for 3 weeks now thinking about how this machine is going into my house. Looks like no sleep for this week as well.

krems

Comment

The first estimate I got from the Crane company was $1200 - $1800 depending on weather conditions / and crane he used. If it was too wet he needed a bigger crane. I told them to go pound sand. Next crane company bid was around $600. I can live w/ that especially since I'm 1/2 way into the move right now. I was really hoping that the gradall machine was going to get this into the back yard. I really have no choice at the moment but to pony up and pay the piper.

Krems

Comment

Yes krems the end result is always the same, shop around.My son Russell was told he could have roof repair done on his roof for £7.5 k $15k in dollars he eventually got a neighbour who was delighted to do it for around £1k he is a qualified roofer and was doing a favour in a sense but he was delighted with $30 dolars and hour plus $30 each way for travel time all meals and extra for diesel.Even if you paid double to him it would have been quarter of the other guys quote.So I think roofers here just think of a number and quadruple it or more.Alistair
                        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Krems,

If you have to lift over the house then just a strap round the ram will do fine.

Here's my first CNC being delivered and this puppy has a 10 x 54 bed and weighs about 3 tonnes.

It actually went higher than that as he lifted it over the phone line and lowered it on the other side.
                          You can see the starps clearly.

Another alternative is to take this to pieces if you have the roon to manage a bare column, not knowing your circumstances it's hard to advise.

I have now moved about 10 to 12 Bridgeports in pieces. In all but two cases I have worked alone with just a panel van and a 1 tonne folding crane as you get from HF.

They strip into 5 pieces, all able to be moved on a trolley.

The head takes off from the 4 bolts in the front.
                          The ram takes off from the 4 bolts securing it to the column.
                          The tabel takes off by removeing the feed screw and end brackets and sliding the table to one end.
                          The knee lifts off with the bottom screw casting by removing the gib strip and the screws into the column base.

That just leaves a bare column that weights about 1000#

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

If the crane operator is confident, you should have no worries. They know what they can and can't do.

Comment

Can't put it on a pallet jack and pull the mill through your house huh? You could do that with 2 sheets of plywood......pg

Comment

Working...
                              X