Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't I find a 3" boring head adapter in MT3 drawbar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I find a 3" boring head adapter in MT3 drawbar?

I want to buy a 3" boring head, but my mill is MT3, and I can't find a drawbar adapter, just tang MT3's. Why would they have tang and no drawbar for a 3" when they're available for 2"? It seems dangerous to me.

It looks like my choices are either a 2" head, or get a 3" with a 3/4 straight shank and either use my ER32 collet chuck, or get a 3/4" MT3 collet, which would reduce the distance and crap between the spindle and cutter.

Opinions?

PS: I'm not really feeling like making one, I'm not one of the retirees here!

They are made!!

Originally posted by gellfex
    I want to buy a 3" boring head, but my mill is MT3, and I can't find a drawbar adapter, just tang MT3's. Why would they have tang and no drawbar for a 3" when they're available for 2"? It seems dangerous to me.

It looks like my choices are either a 2" head, or get a 3" with a 3/4 straight shank and either use my ER32 collet chuck, or get a 3/4" MT3 collet, which would reduce the distance and crap between the spindle and cutter.

Opinions?

PS: I'm not really feeling like making one, I'm not one of the retirees here!
    Hi gellfex.

Old retiree here - loving it.

I bought my 3MT adaptor (tapped for draw-bar) with my boring head.

See top of page from my supplier in Australia.
    http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/samp...orking/29.html

$AU x 1.2 = $US but from my experience (I've done a lot of "shopping" from the USA recently) they will be much cheaper there.

I would be astounded if they were not available in the USA.

I am sure that some on this forum will point you in the right direction.

I hope it helps.

Hope it helps.

Comment

I thought all boring heads came with 3mt and 2mt tangs, well mine did.
      I'm sure you can find an open 3-2mt adaptor, try fleebay

Peter
      I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Grizzly sells them.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Ramsey
          Grizzly sells them.
          And there it is! Thanks.

After trying a dozen vendors like Victor, Enco & MSC I thought it just wasn't out there.

Comment

Why not just make one? It is a very good taper turning exercise.

Greg
            "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by 3jaw
              Why not just make one? It is a very good taper turning exercise.

Greg
              I'm devoted to avoiding exercise at all costs! At $20 vs the cost of the chunk of stock plus the time involved to turn down such a big piece of stock, cut the taper, and thread both ends, the answer is obvious to me. I really do have more pressing things to do. Besides, it was a great excuse to peruse Grizzly's catalog and order another $60 in tooling!

Comment

I can respect that!
                "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

Here, this might help.
                  Just ran across this while searching for info on boring heads.
                  http://www.billsbest.com/thmt3adapter.html
                  Len

Comment

Threaded MT Shanks

Threaded MT shanks basically fell out of favor because they fell behind in the American need for "faster, faster, faster." Steeper tapers like NMTB milling machine machine tapers with the drive slots or dogs, simply released easier. When you look at new CNC machining centers nowadays, I would say ALL of them have this steep taper, with the drive dogs or slots. Also there is a lot more interchangeability now, than in the past. The Europeans were great ones for proprietary tapers that only fit a particular brand. While, in my opinion, any K&T or Cincinatti mill uses a NMTB 30, 40, or 50, for example, makes it so much easier to use and set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcchin Jig & Fixture
                      Threaded MT shanks basically fell out of favor because they fell behind in the American need for "faster, faster, faster." Steeper tapers like NMTB milling machine machine tapers with the drive slots or dogs, simply released easier. When you look at new CNC machining centers nowadays, I would say ALL of them have this steep taper, with the drive dogs or slots. Also there is a lot more interchangeability now, than in the past. The Europeans were great ones for proprietary tapers that only fit a particular brand. While, in my opinion, any K&T or Cincinatti mill uses a NMTB 30, 40, or 50, for example, makes it so much easier to use and set-up.
                      Reasonable, but that doesn't explain why tanged boring shanks are more widely available than drawbar. FWIW, I normally have an ER32 collet chuck on the mill, in the name of speed and convenience. I hate using the drawbar.

Comment

Working...
                      X