Welding copper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding copper

Looking for someone that has experience welding copper. I want to weld 1/8" and 3/16" pieces of plate together. For the most part the plates will be 6" square or so. I want to use my 110v Miller 135 to do the job, as this will be an onsite build with no 220 available. I have found deoxidized mig wire. I have never welded copper with any machine though. So, the questions. Do you think that the 135 can make enough heat to weld? and what gas mix have you used? + any other pertnant suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, JL

------------------
    www.exoticforms.com
    www.exoticforms.com

I've TIG welded thin copper without a filler rod. Worked fine. More experienced welders have told me it's takes fairly high amperage to weld thicker material because of it's rapid heat transfer.

Sounds like you're suggesting welding the copper with a MIG. What filler wire would you use?

Comment

I assume that I would use the deozidized .030 copper filler through the MIG 135....
      www.exoticforms.com

Comment

Why not braze it using bronze rod? It should be just as strong, if not stronger.

Albert

Comment

I am asking a specific question able WELDING copper. No brazing, riviting, glueing, taping, chewing gum or the like! If you don't know, you don't know....
          www.exoticforms.com

Comment

Gee, take it easy guy. This is not a paid service where you get exactly the answer that you're looking for. If you don't like the answers or follow up comments, then the back button is only a click away. Your rather disparaging response is unwarranted.

Albert

[This message has been edited by Rotate (edited 05-09-2003).]

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I am just looking to suggestions or answers to the *question asked*. I respect everyone's experience and opinion.
              www.exoticforms.com

Comment

Why does it have to be "welded" as opposed to "brazed" or "Silver soldered" together?

Comment

Sorry Al, I beat you to it and got flamed (pun intended )

Comment

Same as DR...I've TIGged it. To the best of my knowledge, Argon and only Argon can be used as shield gas for arc welding copper. Right about the heat transfer thing too...Really, by the time you start getting decent welds, the whole area needs to be like red-hot. If it was a big piece, I'd even consider preheating.

All that heat has the side effect of scale, warpage, and softening.

Don't know about MIG or filler wire. Don't know about voltages. All that heat needs some amps, but once the heat is in there...?

Don't know what you're building, but maybe you could braze, rivet, glue, tape AND gum chew it together...

Edit: PS- Forgot to say, it welds very nicely. Smooth, manageable puddle, no pores...nice.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Rob (edited 05-09-2003).]

Comment

eXoticforms: your original question- the one where you want no non-applicable information- asks if it can be done with a "110v Miller 135". I think you don't have the heat needed. maybe, if you insulated a large enough area, you can retain enough heat to make the weld. By weld, I assume you mean WELD- good penetration etc. Since the welder, in my opinion, won't do the job, there is no need to discuss gases.
                      Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve, based on what I have read I don't think it will work either and don't want to buy the supplies if the consensus is that the little mig can't muster up enough heat. I may just have to rent a generator/tig machine. Any other comments appreciated. Other wise I just let everyone know what happens in the end! Thanks to all.
                        www.exoticforms.com

Comment

Hmm lets see here...

1st post on this board is to tell someone their idea won't work and suggest an alternative he hapens to sell.

Second post is a request for help without providing any information about the application but does say "any other pertnant suggestions are appreciated".

By his fourth post he's managed to offend someone who offered up some options in an effort to help.

While he's obviously not a troll, I'm going to be carerful about offering any advice to this guy until I see a little more character. Sincerly hope to see it.

-Dave

Comment

Copper sculpture?

Comment

Exotic;
                              I know that you stated it is a field build; but have you considered taking your project to a company that has an electron beam welder?

Comment

Working...
                              X