OT digital rebel xt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT digital rebel xt

Well, I took the plunge and bought the rebel xt. It looks good, fits my hands well, it works- but I can't instal the software on my computer. I've spent the last two hours trying to find any info on this- drivers, etc, but it looks like I have to come back to this board of experts for advice. The software cd reads, gives me options to instal, I click the buttons- there I am, dead in the water. The 'puter isn't crashed, it's waiting for the instal to proceed, and nothing is happening. I tried starting over again, but then I get a message that says 'another instal in progress'- well that's just not happening. From all I've read on this camera, it's supposed to work with win 98- I don't know if there is an issue with this with the current instal cd, but the camera is supposed to work on my operating system. Maybe canon has dropped win 98 support for this camera somewhere along the production line- anybody have any answers?

I've checked the canon support site and can find no support there- I've looked on the net for drivers, etc- now I'm at your mercy.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I don't have experience with that particular camera and Win98, so I can't help a lot, except to say that you probably wouldn't be having this problem with XP.

I stuck with WinME, which supposedly has plug and play, for many years, but half the time the plug and play was uncooperative and you had to manually install, sometimes over and over again, until it would finally recognize a new device.

XP reads my Nikon camera as soon as it is plugged in, without using the PITA Nikon software. So much nicer.

Comment

This could easily be pita canon software. All I want to do is be able to download images from the camera to the computer. For the time being I don't care about the software that came with the camera. I have the same issue with the casio camera, I don't like the software, I just want to bypass it and load the images to the pc. Simple- (ha ha)
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Win98 is getting pretty long in the tooth as far as software goes.

Try this Canon USA link to their support page, click on the "drivers/software" link. It'll open a download page in a "pop up" window, so if you have a pop-up blocker of some sort, you might have to turn it off momentarily.

Now, all that said, for the most part you don't need any drivers or software. All you need is a media-card reader that can take Compact Flash cards. They'll run you about $20, but you'll need a USB port. If you don't have one, you'll need to spring for another $35 or so to get a PCI card add-on USB hub for the computer.

Then, after that, all you need to do is take the card out of the camera, put it in the cardreader, and open it like a secondary hard drive.

That's plug-and-play in XP and Vista (plug the card in and it opens) but in '98, you'll probably have to open "My Computer", browse to the new drive number the PC assigns to the card, and double-click on it.

After that, you'll need an image viewer, which is really all the Canon software gives you, if you're not going to use some of the more esoteric features. (I've never even loaded my XT software.) If you don't have something like Paintshop, Photoshop or a standalone image viewer (Internet Explorer can be and usually is set as the default JPEG viewer) you can download some freeware viewers like IrfanView.

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Any flavor of Win9x sucks. Haven't touched it since Win2K was released. If your computer is up to it, upgrade to Win2K or WinXP, they are much better in every way imaginable. If your computer isn't up to it, get a new one! Computers are cheap, and have come a long way since they were sold with Win98. Get at least 2Gig memory to make Vista happy.

Ed

Comment

Docs post is the most insightful and least invasive.

Get a card reader and dispense with the cluttered software....

And adding the card reader shouldnt pose any problems.

Here are some links to card readers

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...e=Card-Readers

Comment

Yes, win 98 is long in the tooth-

I have two usb sockets, they work, any usb device I try is seen by winblows, but some won't work without some dlls. All normal. Some devices that are not supposed to work with win 98 actually do.

In this case, the computer sees the camera for what it is, but wants to load a driver for it- fair enough. But I don't have a driver to feed it. I should have on the instal cd but I'm thinking now there's some proprietary blockage on it- possibly a part of canon's partnership with microsoft? - I wouldn't doubt that win 98 has now become actively unsupported for many things. Anyway I don't want to start any debate on that topic.

There's no technical reason I can see why this camera can't be used on this computer. I have no problem dealing with large files of any type, and these are only files, jpg to boot. I have Irfanview and it shows that it supports raw as well as a myriad other file types.

I can see my other camera as a removable drive and pick and choose the files off it at will, and also load any type of file to it and it transfers. The only thing I can't do, not unexpectedly, is open these other files on the camera. Who cares about that. I should be able to do the same with the canon. All that's missing is a driver to allow the computer to see it as a removable drive.

As far as the canon software, I don't need it at all. It doesn't matter if my computer isn't 'beefy' enough to operate it.

Anyway, I'm getting pretty choked about this whole thing. In all likelyhood a new computer will allow it to work, but if I'm forced to do that just to make this camera work, I'll more than likely just take the camera back. Too bad, so sad, ef you canon. And ef me 'cause I don't get to use this nice new camera.

HEY CANON ARE YOU LISTENING? IM GOING OVER TO NIKON NOW.

Comment

Yes, the card reader. I'll see if I can get one of those to work- that should be easy, maybe all I'll need is that universal usb driver package that someone (Evan?) posted a link to awhile back.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl
                  In this case, the computer sees the camera for what it is, but wants to load a driver for it- fair enough.
                  I don't know what the issue is there, but again, you don't need it. Offloading photos through the camera itself is very, very slow- slower even than a USB 1.1 card reader.

Buying a USB2.0 card reader (under $20) and a USB2.0 PCI card (about $35) would let you offload an entire 2GB card in about ninety seconds. It'd be ten to fifteen minutes pulled through the camera.

There's no technical reason I can see why this camera can't be used on this computer.
                  -True. Also no particular reason to feed images through the camera for offloading. I've never used the camera cables, even back when I had the Olympus point-and-shoot with a whopping 8MB card. (Which was a serial connection (!) and atrociously slow- we're talking 10+ minutes to offload a mere 8MB.)

All that's missing is a driver to allow the computer to see it as a removable drive.
                  Win98 didn't have native support for USB until Service Pack 2, as I recall. I might be wrong on that, but you might see if you have the latest updates to Win98.

MS doesn't officially support '98 anymore, but they still have the most recent service packs and updates available for download. Make a full backup of your data first, before updating.

Barring that, you might try a generic external drive driver. I had a "thumb drive" flash-memory keychain fob that refused to work in a '98 or ME box- the two that I needed to get the data off of.

The manufacturer had no driver, and XP has it's own native support, so somebody pointed me toward a generic driver, I think off of Download.com, that did the trick. The keychain was recognized as a "removable storage device" as soon as it's plugged in.

However, for ME and '98, you must remember to "stop" the device before unplugging it. Click the icon down in the tool tray, select "Stop USB Device" and click that. (or however the instructions go.) XP is pretty friendly for plug-and-play hot swaps, but 98 and ME will give you problems- possibly even data loss off the stick or card- if you don't stop it first.

That goes for the camera as well- you'll have to 'stop' it before unplugging. That includes with the Canon software if or when you get it working.

As far as the canon software, I don't need it at all. It doesn't matter if my computer isn't 'beefy' enough to operate it.
                  -It's not a question of "beefy", I believe it's a USB driver issue. Again, as above, you might not have the full USB support installed yet- in which case it's neither a camera fault or a computer fault, it's just a minor configuration issue.

Anyway, I'm getting pretty choked about this whole thing. In all likelyhood a new computer will allow it to work, but if I'm forced to do that just to make this camera work, I'll more than likely just take the camera back. Too bad, so sad, ef you canon. And ef me 'cause I don't get to use this nice new camera.

HEY CANON ARE YOU LISTENING? IM GOING OVER TO NIKON NOW.
                  -So you're assuming that a Nikon will somehow magically work it's way through a PC misconfiguration issue when the Canon wouldn't? Trading in, getting an exchange or selling and rebuying seems to be a lot of wasted time and effort just to avoid trying to get your existing hardware working.

Doc.
                  Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Thanks for your support, Doc. It has been frustrating for me, but if as you say it turns out to be a misconfiguration issue, a missed update, etc, well- there's no point in me stewing over this anyway. It just remains for me to find the solution and implement it. The multi card reader seems the best solution at this point, and probably the cheapest. I just hope is doesn't turn into another five trips back to the store to get one that works for me. Hey, it might even work 'right out of the box'. That would be nice.

Anyway, tomorrow is another day and it will have it's own challenges for me- completely unrelated to this camera business, thankfully. Thanks again to everyone who responded throughout my camera 'issues' of the past few weeks.

Comment

As Doc has said I too also never use the cable to read the images on my Rebel. I use a card reader always. Having said that go into the camera setup menu and make sure the communication mode is set to PTP transfer mode instead of the default "normal". Install the twain driver for win 98 and all will be well.

Canon Camera PTP TWAIN Driver
                      This software enables a PC to communicate with a camera when the communication mode in the camera is set to [Print/PTP] mode. During the PTP communication, you can not use remote shooting by the EOS Capture software.
                      Version 1.1.0

Released on 19-04-2005

Compatibility:
                      Operating system(s):
                      Windows 2000 SP4, Windows 98SE
                      Language(s):
                      English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
                      Driver is available here:

http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...893.asp?model=
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Some months back I ran across a Canon Power Shot S1 IS about to close out on flea bay at a very attractive price and quickly threw a bid on it , and, bought it! In my haste to get that bargain price, I failed to notice that it was the camera ONLY....no software, case, card, batteries---- But it was a nice clean camera and I only needed to be able to get the pix into the computer, and as already mentioned, a $20 multi card reader from Wally World solved that problem. Most newer printers have slots on them also....My HP MF will read the cards just fine.

But,--- I do have XP.......
                        If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

just a note on the card readers. my Dazzle reader worked fine in Win98, and works fine on XP. but..... it does not like anything over 1GB in size. in fact, if i stick a 2GB compact flash module in, it will allow me to download the first 1GB of data, and then says the card is empty. if i plug my Canon PowerShot A710 into the PC, i can use the camera to download the entire 2GB card. i have no idea why this is, and don't really care because using the camera works and i have no desire to fiddle with XP any more than necessary.

andy b.
                          The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Well, I got it working. I installed the twain driver (yesterday before I went into rant mode) nothing improved. The camera said it was busy, and just stayed that way until it shut off. Today I played with the communication setting, and it was set on PTP. by default. I changed it to PC connection, and then the computer asked which of two programs I wanted to use to acquire the images, Imaging, or Photodeluxe. I didn't want to use either, but I found that Irfanview can acquire the images, singly or as a batch. I have to highlight each image while holding ctrl to select all, that seems to be the only way to do a batch acquire- but it works. The download speed is as expected through the usb1 port, no slower, no faster.

I'm a happier camper now, but I'm still going to look for a way to make it a little more modern process. I'm not complaining- but the twain process sure is neanderthal, it looks like windows 95 or maybe 3.1. I did see a multi card reader that's supposed to work with 98, but the other option of course is a new or newer computer. It's not a matter of if now, but when. I've held out maybe for too long, I think most of you probably think that too. Speaking of new computers, what's a good monitor to get these days?

Comment

I'm not complaining- but the twain process sure is neanderthal, it looks like windows 95
                              That is because it is from Windows 95. It appears that you are beginning to appreciate the the extreme time compression that acompanies the computer business. Computer years are worse than dog years, maybe ten to one instead of seven to one. You are using an operating system a century old from the last century. It would be a good time to upgrade to XP since it won't be available for much longer.

For an LCD monitor have a look at AG Neovo. They are well priced and reliable. I have sold many and own about 4 of them, all without problems.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X