Elmer's Engine Book on eBay till 10/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmer's Engine Book on eBay till 10/28

Elmer Verbug's famous book - Elmer's Engines is on eBay - get it while you can - if you can - currently at $230 at 9am PST 10/24.

His book is extremely difficult to find in print - yes I know all the pages are available in PDF files in various places on the net. Nothing like having the book in hand. It's certainly a treasure for the engine maker !!

Elmer's Engine Book eBay link

This is an original copy of the hard to find Elmer's Engines Book. It contains 251 pages of scaled plan drawings and photographs for 52 different model steam engine designs. There are different variations of just about every steam engine design you can think of including single cylinder, double action, twin cylinder, radials, marine engines, mill engines, beam engines, etc. These designs are all relatively small and can be built with a small metal lathe and milling machine or milling attachment. They are made from simple bar stock so no castings are required.

There is also an appendix which shows you how to create your own steam engine design with methods for laying out and machining several different types of cylinders, spoked flywheels, valves and steam chests. There are also plans for a number of different tools including a small sheet metal bending brake, cross slide milling attachment, ball turning attachment, and several others.
    Also available for $500 on this eBay link
    Last edited by mlucek; 10-24-2007, 01:06 PM.

I'm looking forward to seeing how high this goes. I've got a copy that I've been thinking of selling. Oddly enough, I think my dust jacket is torn in the same place.
    Yeah, it's nice having the book, but I can buy a lot of stuff for the prices they go for.

Scott

Comment

Post Deleted.
      Last edited by lazlo; 10-25-2007, 12:12 PM.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Currently at $250 as of 1:30pm PST Thurs 10/25.

Comment

FYI, there's 3 books available from Amazon sellers.

Elmer's Engines Amazon link

$435-$500

Comment

Now that the auction is over, I find it hard to believe that any book is worth $435- $500!

I guess this explains why there are so many electronic copies of Elmer's Engines floating around. Heck, there's a whole Yahoo group dedicated to it...
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
              Now that the auction is over, I find it hard to believe that any book is worth $435- $500!

I guess this explains why there are so many electronic copies of Elmer's Engines floating around. Heck, there's a whole Yahoo group dedicated to it...
              I'd think the Vatican might have an early edition or two of the good book that would bring better than $500 on E-Bay.
              Brett Jones...

Comment

"I guess this explains why there are so many electronic copies of Elmer's Engines floating around"

http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

In case anyone wants a copy.
                Andrew

Comment

I guess this explains why there are so many electronic copies of Elmer's Engines floating around.
                  Actually, the electronic copies exist because the book is out of print and the original print run doesn't satisfy the demand.

I have the book that some kind soul offered to me for $75. It is one of the best bargains I ever bought.

Regards,

Orrin
                  So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Originally posted by bhjones
                    I'd think the Vatican might have an early edition or two of the good book that would bring better than $500 on E-Bay.
                    Their newest book (just printed) is going for about $7K!!!
                    The Knights Templar, the medieval Christian military order accused of heresy and sexual misconduct, will soon be partly rehabilitated when the Vatican publishes trial documents it has closely guarded for 700 years.

It is publishing only 799 copies of the minutes of trials against the Templars, Processus Contra Templarios - Papal Inquiry into the Trial of the Templars, which will sell for €5,900 (£4,115).

The giant work will come in a soft leather case, with detailed reproductions of original Latin parchments and the wax seals used by the 14th-century inquisitors.
                    So how's come someone like Lindsay's hasn't reprinted Elmer's book?

Comment

Originally posted by Orrin
                      Actually, the electronic copies exist because the book is out of print and the original print run doesn't satisfy the demand.

I have the book that some kind soul offered to me for $75. It is one of the best bargains I ever bought.
                      I obtained the book for $85 from a kind machinist gentleman who had no more use of it. It's much more interesting to page thru the book than to sit futz with less then stellar copies of the pages.

So how's come someone like Lindsay's hasn't reprinted Elmer's book?
                      Probably cause the copyright hasn't expired (1986 ?) and/or whomever owns the copyright(s) haven't released/ok'd/sold them to be reprinted. Lindsey's a GREAT resource for old books. Wonder what their book age cutoff is ? Many of their book reprints (I've purchased a few) are 100+ years old.

But yeah agree, $250+ is a bit steep. I had bid $160 for a copy on eBay a coupla years ago and came to my senses. Given the prices now, that would have been a bargain

Of course now the guys in my machine shop classes want to borrow the book for projects. I don't let it out of my sight . I let them look at the book and show them where to get the e-copies on the net.

Mike
                      Last edited by mlucek; 11-05-2007, 05:58 PM.

Comment

If the book is so popular (and I've read it -- it's excellent), then why the heck doesn't the publisher make another printing?
                        If people are willing to pay $250 - $500 for it, there's obviously at least some profit in it!

Heck, I'd buy a copy, if it were $50 - $75.

Comment

Originally posted by mlucek
                          Probably cause the copyright hasn't expired (1986 ?) and/or whomever owns the copyright(s) haven't released/ok'd/sold them to be reprinted. Lindsey's a GREAT resource for old books. Wonder what their book age cutoff is ? Many of their book reprints (I've purchased a few) are 100+ years old.
                          Thanks to Mickey Mouse, copyright is the life of the creator + 70 years. Who was the original publisher, I wonder? And what happened to Elmer? It could be one of those mindboggingly stupid things which keeps happening these days where no one knows who owns the rights, and everybody's afraid to touch the work because of it.

Comment

So info on ELmer and his great book

I can shed a bit of light:

Elmer is gone, sadly. Orchard Press was the publisher, but they appear to be defunct.

This is tied into the demise of MODELTECH magazine; Bill Fitt worked with Elmer to publish the book, but Fitt has also departed and his heirs have not been able to locate the plates.

I've talked with Neil at the last two GEARS shows about having his publisher reprint this book. The problem is finding the original plates; they seem to have disappeared.
                            If he can get the rights, he can photograph a copy of the book and make new plates that way, but there will be a decrease in print quality.

I haunted ebay a long time before I found a copy at a price I was willing to pay.

A truly great book that would be of great use to many newbies to the HSM hobby if it could be recreated.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by jeastwood
                              I can shed a bit of light:

Elmer is gone, sadly. Orchard Press was the publisher, but they appear to be defunct.

A truly great book that would be of great use to many newbies to the HSM hobby if it could be recreated.
                              Wow, thanks for that! What a sad story -- reminds me of Aristotle's book on Comedy...

Comment

Working...
                              X