Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeastwood
    I can shed a bit of light:

Elmer is gone, sadly. Orchard Press was the publisher, but they appear to be defunct.

This is tied into the demise of MODELTECH magazine; Bill Fitt worked with Elmer to publish the book, but Fitt has also departed and his heirs have not been able to locate the plates.

I've talked with Neil at the last two GEARS shows about having his publisher reprint this book. The problem is finding the original plates; they seem to have disappeared.
    Why do they need the original plates nowadays ?
    I was under the impression [ no pun intended and Evan will correct me anyway ] that it was possible for print runs to be done from PDF's

I do know for a fact that MEW goes to the printers as a PDF file and I can get books printed very cost effective, in the Far East again from PDF's.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

The book dates from 1989; I doubt MODELTEC and Orchard Publishing
      were doing things digitally back then.

Comment

But it's already in pdf format on the web.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

"Native" PDF, or "scanned in page images" PDF?
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

The PDF's on the net are scanned pages in B & W. Photo quality is not very good. I'm sure the pages could be easily duplicated for printing using the right equipment - OCR the text, high quality scanning or photo'ing the pictures in color. Just takes time, $ and probably some sort of legal rights.

Incidentally, another Elmer's Engines book popped up on eBay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180177245366

Ends 11/12

Current price at $86.20.

A truly great book that would be of great use to many newbies to the HSM hobby if it could be recreated.
            As a somewhat still noob, I agree 1000% !! Excellent resource for plans and tips !

Mike

Comment

OCR the text, high quality scanning or photo'ing the pictures in color.
              Or simply retype it. High quality scans of the images, cleaned up by a professional, would be easy to do. If it sells for $50 a copy then surely it's worth $5,000 to restore it to modern standards.

Comment

The PDF's on the net are scanned pages in B & W. Photo quality is not very good. I'm sure the pages could be easily duplicated for printing using the right equipment - OCR the text, high quality scanning or photo'ing the pictures in color. Just takes time, $ and probably some sort of legal rights.
                The PDFs on the Net might be lacking; but, there's a CD floating around and getting copied and it is in color and excellent quality. With a little tweaking, the printed pages look almost as good as the original.

I have no idea how the book got digitized, but it is out there. I have no need for a CD because I have a legal bound book from the print run.

Orrin
                So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Working...
                X