Spelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spelling

Is there a way to spell check on this forum?
    John R

Well you can do it the klunky way and write all of your posts in a Word Processor (your coice as to which) and cut and paste to here. Or you can just learn to spell. And when you learn how. Teach me.
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Google page has an auto check function on the toolbar. It works four me.
      Ken.

Comment

If you're using Internet Explorer here's a freebie,

http://www.iespell.com/

Comment

I believe FireFox 2 includes a spell checker. It seems to underline peculiar spellings with a red dotted line.

John

Comment

My typing is very bad and I do my best to check it over before hitting the button to post.However sometimes if I am not too tired I cut and paste into the email box them press spell check, when done I reverse the procedure. This is not very often just when I am feeling good.Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I use the one suggested by IOWOLF. It works great for me. I think it spells better than my syntax which is fool of errors

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I never make smelling mistakes.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Nobuddy kin spel enymor enyhow.
                  Pete in NJ

Comment

Originally posted by GadgetBuilder
                    I believe FireFox 2 includes a spell checker. It seems to underline peculiar spellings with a red dotted line.
                    John
                    That is correct, John.
                    I have used Firefox for many years now, and when I upgraded to v2.0 not so long ago, I automatically got the spell checker.
                    It spell checks every text entry box, very neat indeed .

PS.
                    There is also so many useful add-ons to Firefox, the one I definitely use the most is "DictionarySearch".
                    I can just highlight and right click a word I don't understand, then choose "search dictionary for ..."
                    It's set as standard to use The Free Dictionary, but you can change that if you want.

Thomas

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
                    - Piet Hein

Comment

I keep a dictionary int he drawer below the monitor. If it's some weird
                      word I "wingit" . :-)
                      The bigest "nasty" to me is using an incorect word that is spelled
                      correctly, like there for their etc. way to often. Cussed "spellchecker"
                      folks get so use to depending on them they don't even think any more.
                      One of my pet peeves, they don't teach anything in school any longer.
                      Spelling should be right up there with arithmetic. It's disgusting the
                      inability of high school seniors to do simple arithmetic.
                      Oh well I feel better now. :-) Almost just cancelled this. :-)
                      ...lew...

Comment

Spell-check

Originally posted by John R
                        Is there a way to spell check on this forum?
                        John R
                        John,
                        if you are using IE as your browser try ieSpell

Its free and its great.

Quite a quick down-load and set-up.

I can spell OK - mostly - but my fingers can't.

I hope you like it.

Comment

If you decide to use a "Spellchecker", mebbe you should decide to type slower, not NEED a spellchecker, unless you really CAN'T spell.

I can't type worth a damn. Will type a reply, spend more time checking it than the original typing took.

I CAN spell better than the average person, just that my fingers get way ahead of me, have to correct things.

I HATE to misspell anything I post, not the least there are some ignorami who will jump your ass for a misspell.

"Look, he can't even spell "asshole", why should we pay him any nevermind?"

It comes down to if you want to come across as halfway intelligent, you will try to spell correctly.

If you want to come across as one who walked his way through grade and high school, hey, put all them letters in any combination you want. I don't have to pay you any attention, whatsoever.

I don't, normally. If I see a Heading that looks interesting, and click and see idiocy, I go to the next post.

300 million people in the US. How many thousands here, we got to have about the same percentage of nutcases as in the general population.

I ain't gonna name them, but, we got them.

Cheers,

George

Comment

OR, you can scroll to the top of this page, then about halfway down click on user cp- then on the left side click on edit options- then scroll to the bottom and under miscellaneous options change from basic editor to enhanced interface. Then on the top right of this reply window, you can set the editor mode. One of those modes gives you spell check.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by darryl
                              OR, you can scroll to the top of this page, then about halfway down click on user cp- then on the left side click on edit options- then scroll to the bottom and under miscellaneous options change from basic editor to enhanced interface. Then on the top right of this reply window, you can set the editor mode. One of those modes gives you spell check.
                              Thanks darryl.

I don't know how many times I've looked at that setting and not had it register what it was but its clear enough now that you've pointed it out.

It's now on my "Favoutites" as "AAA-Free dictionary" so that it is right at the top - where I can find it.

For gmatov:

George, I agree with what you say.

I was taught that among other things, its bad manners and discourteous to send anything in writing that is neither spelled correctly nor clear in its intent.

In the Navy - both "Uniform" and "Civilian" - it was essential that these criteria be met else it would be returned post haste with a "blast" for it to be re-written and re-submitted. The general reason being that your submission/s had to be clear enough to be supported, rejected or considered on merit. "Senior's" were very reluctant to argue or support anything that was not clear and correct as their assessments by their Senior's was largely assessed on their skills in managing these skills in their "team/s".

There were no such things as computers in those early days. Hand-writing was bad enough but when you had to re-do a typed submission it was real PITA - in a lot of ways.

It helped when we had a Typing Pool, but it got worse when we got computers and primitive so-called "Word-processors".

Email was even worse!! as it was all intra-net - local and remote.

Access to the Internet was not allowed other than for a priveleged few.

All of this excellent access to the Internet and the like is a mixed blessing at times - a bit like the "Curate's Egg" - good in parts.

The same goes for mobile phones. I have one but I only wear it when I am out, and I only turn it on when I have reason to divert the house phone to it. Not otherwise. And it works. I still have a "Nokia" 5110 and would not make 5 calls a month - tops - on it.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X