Pneumatic graver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pneumatic graver

I am interested in building something similar to the pneumatic engraving tools this company makes. To do exactly what they are doing in the Brannen and Nagahara flute engraving videos. Anybody got drawings of a similar machine?

http://www.lindsayengraving.com/scho...ate/videos.htm

Thanks! Matt

Way cool site and vid's don't know if you will find plans for patented equipment like they have. good luck
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Matt
      10 years ago a person who had made his own air engraver, expained to me how he built his. Made a sketch from his discription. Maybe this sketch will be enough to get you started. gary

Comment

I once had the Gravermeister unit. I'd suggest you consider buying a handpiece and reverse engineering it. It worked pretty well but I sold it in favor of the chasing hammer as it was faster and looked a little more handcut. The pneumatic machines give a telltale tool marks of regular precision not evident in the chasing hammer and graver. I admit the hammer would not work as well on thin musical instruments.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Very cool! I own a Lindsay Palmcontrol, and am learning how to use it effectively. I also have talked with Steve Lindsay many times, and he is an incredibly talented, and generous, individual.

There is a reason the palmcontrol, especially, is as expensive as it is. The mushroom control head that meters the air is an incredible engineering feat, and the overall fit and finish of these units is pure art.

The Palmcontrol portion is patented, but there's no reason you couldn't engineer a pedal-driven unit. The secret is in the porting. Even when the unit is not cutting, enough air bleeds through so that the piston oscillates, and when it is time to take a cut, the piston accelerates with no hesitation. Lindsay produces two variants, one with a fixed stroke, the other with a variable one; thus, with the latter, you can control both air pressure and stroke length easily.

I don't have any prints or drawings of how this is done, but I don't think it is an impossible task. The piston oscillation is similar to a steam engine's porting, I believe.

Comment

I held one of these a couple of weeks ago, and they are extremely precisely made.
            If he spent 10 or 15 years experimenting, and has 5 patents, he is not going to leave drawings around on the internt.

Yes, they are fiendishly expensive- $2800 for the top of the line palm control.
            But I would suggest you just bite the bullet and buy one- the foot control models cheaper, or you can buy one without a control and add your own.

If your interest is just the challenge of building one, and you have years to do it, and your time is worth nothing, go for it.
            But if what you want is to engrave, buy the tool.

You could certainly build your own V8 engine from scratch, or make your own Bridgeport, of pour your own stainless steel castings, too. But in every case, it would take longer, cost more, and give lower quality results than if you just buy one from somebody that has spent years and lots of money developing one.

there are absolutely situations where it makes sense to build your own- I have lots of tools and fixtures in my shop I built- but I would not make my own tig welder, or ironworker- and I sure wouldnt try to make one of these, and expect it to work very well, in less than a year or so. I can make money with a working tool, or lose money building one that kinda works...

Your mileage, of course, may vary....

Comment

The Lindsay Pneumatic Engravers are Patented, therefore they are on public record, available to anyone to view.

Click Here to view the Patent Document, including drawings without dimensions, and a full description of how it works.

Comment

Air Graver Patents

Originally posted by Noogies View Post
                The Lindsay Pneumatic Engravers are Patented, therefore they are on public record, available to anyone to view.

Click Here to view the Patent Document, including drawings without dimensions, and a full description of how it works.
                Lindsay has quite a lot of patents related to his AirGraver and Palm Control systems.... I find the Google patent service easier to use. Here is an example of one of his patents:
                https://www.google.com/patents/US609...jGCxMQ6AEILDAC

Scroll to the bottom and click the citation links to access his other patents, as well as those of other patent holders with similar devices. Here are the first 4 images from the latest patent (Variable hand pressure activated power tool
                US 6691798 B1):

Comment

Here are the last 3 images from the latest patent (Variable hand pressure activated power tool US 6691798 B1):

Comment

A graver I had worked off a pulsed vacuum. I was thinking the Lindsay's worked off vacuum as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X