Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Wrenching" news...

Kind of interesting...

Although the auction in the link below is over this site does contain some interesting information and photos regarding old wrenches.

http://home.southwind.net/~donhaury/gaier-auction-2006/catalog.html
    Last edited by Mike Burdick; 10-28-2007, 11:05 PM.

RE:"Wrenching" news...

Mike,

These are some interesting tools. I find some of them in the various flea markets I root through. It is nice to see that folks are collecting some of them and even putting some back into service. Thanks for the fun site.
    Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

I think #217 a hog holder came as set with a #124 Dr Miller pig snooter.

It came with a pamphlet titled "Snootering for fun and profit". Very rare.

But just as rare is the "Snootering for dummies" book.
      Gene

Comment

some wild wrenches there! i like the crocodile and duck wrenches.
        i don't understand the double-ended adjustable wrenches (like #116). it seems to me, an adjustable wrench is adjustable, so why would you need two of them just a 1/4" apart in size and stuck end-to-end? it isn't like you can use both at the same time? unless they were sold out of the back of wagons to mother-in-laws to give as useless gifts to son-in-laws.

andy b.
        The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

double-ended adjustable wrenches

Obviously one end is used on imperial nuts and bolts; the other end is used for metric nuts and bolts.
          Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Okay, two questions for you experts...

1. What is the design philosophy of having the curved handles?

2. What are the “alligator” type jaws used for (i.e. wrench #29 or #183)?
            Last edited by Mike Burdick; 10-29-2007, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burdick
              Okay, two questions for you experts...

1. What is the design philosophy of having the curved handles?

2. What are the “alligator” type jaws used for (i.e. wrench #29 or #183)?
              #1-this represents the arrogance of the designer in thinking that by simply curving the handle of the tool he could avoid busting his knuckles.Little did he know such a feat is all but impossible.

#2 before the invention of Vise-grips and slip joint pliers jack-leg mechanics needed some method of @!*&$%!#!up a shaft or fitting,hince the alligator wrench
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
              X