Paint Booth need fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Booth need fan

I finally got tired of all the over spray and smell. I did have an out building to paint in but it got destroyed last winter. I have been doing it (wonder what he is talking about ) in the shop and well it is just not the place to DO IT
    I decided to build a wood booth. Went to Home Depot got some 2x4's, flake board for the walls. Got some cheapo furnace filters. Now I need a fan as I already have a 1/3 hp motor that turns 1750 rpm. I will use a pulley setup as a drive but wonder what type of fan to use. I remember days of old when houses had ventilators and they were fans driven by pulley and motors. I hope to use that type.

Any suggestions where I might find them? I was hoping for a 16 - 20 inch fan. I can come up with a pulley and make a shaft if needed. Just hope to find a fan riding on bearings.

Any thoughts?
    Life Is Grand

you might consider checking out the agricultural sector - the fans used in hog buildings, chicken coupes, stables, etc are just big fan blades that are run from a motor. Check out farm and home, farm and fleet, etc and there are some online suppliers too.

Comment

I thought about that but they were always very large. I never saw a 16 - 20 inch fan. Normally those things are 24+ inches and use 1-2 hp motors or larger.
      If you know of smaller ones I would be willing to listen.
      Being out here in cow country and pig and chicken country I see those fans all over. I would need a booth the size of my house to use one, Not a bad idea really but I do not have the room.
      Life Is Grand

Comment

Make sure what ever you get is designed not to throw sparks from static or electrics.

Comment

I've been on both sides. Did "backyard" paint jobs for years. Then i enrolled in a 7 month autobody course a few years ago. Wow! I couldn't believe the difference that a downdraft booth could make. Beautiful paint jobs...spraying with no mask...(not always...lol), no mess all over the shop. etc.
          I was to do it...2X8's under the floor with filters mounted in between them.
          I really don't think your fan is strong enough.
          The "real" ones will suck off your underwear!
          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

First lets make things perfectly clear I do not wear underwear!!

I do really....but I was thinking on making my booth with the fan on the top side section drawing out thru filters. The booth will only be 4' wide and 3' deep and 6' high. With a 20" 3 blade fan turning at whatever rpm I would need by pulley size I think that would do the job. Remember this is a small booth for small parts..operated by a small brained guy

I thought of the spark factor and decided I was going to mount the motor topside where it would be isolated from the booth. Not sure but I do not think it would be a problem.
            Life Is Grand

Comment

I built a spray booth not a whole lot bigger than your, I found a explosion proof fan on craigslist for $75, I felt it was a steal. You really should think about one too, regardless of which side of the wall you put it there will still be highly volitive mixture flowing over the motor, one spark and you are toast. And down draft is the ticket, other wise crap is going to fall on your wet paint.
              "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

actually i just snagged an aluminum fan that was 18" in diameter for a project. i have to make a shaft and bearings for it but it was from a hog building. i'll have to do some sniffing around and figure out what they were originally used for.

Comment

I use a standard 2' x 2' box fan in my paint booth, and just tape a HVAC filter on one side to keep the overspray from spreading.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Go to Grainger for fan, they have many of the type you are thinking about. You have to establish a account to buy from them, but it shouldn't be a problem for you, just use your business name. www.grainger.com

Heres one, says "limited supply" but they have others.
                    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3CC73

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by cybor462
                      First lets make things perfectly clear I do not wear underwear!!

I do really....but I was thinking on making my booth with the fan on the top side section drawing out thru filters. The booth will only be 4' wide and 3' deep and 6' high. With a 20" 3 blade fan turning at whatever rpm I would need by pulley size I think that would do the job. Remember this is a small booth for small parts..operated by a small brained guy

I thought of the spark factor and decided I was going to mount the motor topside where it would be isolated from the booth. Not sure but I do not think it would be a problem.

cybor462,
                      How about a blower unit salvaged from an old forced hot air heating system, you know the type, looks like a big squirrel cage.
                      I've seen pics of them set up as dust collection units for a wood shop.

Oh, and the tension gauge that you sent to me is great!
                      Nice job Jim!
                      It arrived emblemished.
                      Sorry I didn't get back to you right away, I got caught up with
                      this and that, you know how it goes.
                      Thanks again.
                      Mike Green
                      Mike Green

Comment

Jim,

like Mgreen just posted. A furnace fan can also be adjusted for air flow by pulleys or a electric controller ANd the motor can be isolated from the air flow.

Just my 2$

Terry

Comment

Something that I have swimming in the back of my head, was to use one of the aftermarket cooling fans for an auto. When I saw a electric type on sale I started to think about down draft tables and a wood shop "cyclone" dust collectors. Maybe there is one in the size you are looking for?
                          Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Steven
                            Go to Grainger for fan, they have many of the type you are thinking about. You have to establish a account to buy from them, but it shouldn't be a problem for you, just use your business name. www.grainger.com

Heres one, says "limited supply" but they have others.
                            http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3CC73

Steve
                            Heah Steve thanks for that tip. I do have an account with them. I do not use it as it seems their store near me never has what I need and the guys do not take the time to see if they can get it. Make me feel like they could care if I get what I need or not. I will check it out. Thanks
                            Life Is Grand

Comment

1) If you spray any flammables, you DO want a fan that is safe for flammable vapors. Especially with a wood ( ) booth.

2) With paint booth fans, the whole story is "face velocity". No, it's not measured as you run away, it is the air velocity through the front opening (face) of the booth.

In a good industrial booth it is enough to flap your pants.... The idea is that all the overspray goes out the filter and none leaks out the front in some sort of eddy or reverse flow.

You can figure the airflow by knowing the air volume the fan can move through the filter and ducts, and dividing it by the face area of the booth opening. In a "real" booth you get over 10 feet per second, IIRC.

Looking at the FAQ on the Binks site http://www.binks.com/Technical%20Sup...y%20Booths.pdf

I see that 100 ft/minute face velocity is suggested as the minimum.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X