Drill press chuck key & spindle lock gizmo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill press chuck key & spindle lock gizmo

With the other thread going on DP's and a couple mentions of keeping track of the key, I thought I'd share this incredibably simple method of always having it "at hand" Picture should be self explanatory,---piece of string (use nylon, otherwise it'll fray too quick), couple plastic "eyes/guides", some kind of weight, and connect to the key.

Also a method to have a spindle lock thats really a quick and easy fix --- back out the original (really pitiful) slotted head locking screw, throw it away and weld/braze up a "T" bolt....now you've got a 'thumb' lock for the spindle.

[IMG]file:///G:/DCIM/107CANON/IMG_0712.JPG[/IMG]
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

what's with all the wires sticking out of the back of the motor???Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
      what's with all the wires sticking out of the back of the motor???Alistair
      Thats a DC treadmill motor and the small wires are coming/going for the variable speed potentiometer --- the control board is around on the other side
      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

I like it - really simple and clever. One thing I think I'd add if I put together this kind of setup would be a section of PVC pipe for the weight to ride in, so there wouldn't be any exposed string to get snagged accidentally.

Cheers,

Frank Ford
        FRETS.COM
        Gryphon Stringed Instruments
        My Home Shop Pages
        Cheers,

Frank Ford
        HomeShopTech

Comment

Working...
        X