Necessity is the mother of Invention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessity is the mother of Invention

At work last week I needed to cut some .175 wide radius groves in some parts I was making for a customer.Had a quick idea for a tool I have had in my mine for years but never got around to building. So I set in and made a crude one and got the job done. It worked so well Friday evening I decided to set in and make a whole set for my lathes at home.Here are some measurements For any one interested.5/8 x1 x4 1/2 CRS Mill face end 7° ,move back leaving .010 from edge of part at 7° to edge of hole . Drill and ream what ever size hole you need. I made 3/16- 1/4 -5/16 -3/8 -and 7/16 . Lay part on side moving back behind reamed hole enough that threads will clear hole and drill and tap 1/4 - 20 thread thru part and counter drill .265 dia. 5/16 deep with bolt head on right side or tail stock side of tool holder.Stand part up and 1/2 inch behind taped hole are about 1 inch from beveled face drill a 5/32 hole thru part on center of 5/8 dem. and thru the 1inch thickness. Then lay parts down on 5/8 side and with a 1/16 slitting saw saw to 5/32 hole. Stand the parts back up in vise and cut .250 deep back about 3/4 from 7؛ bevel face back. Turn up side down and cut shank of holders to 5/8 thick 3 1/4 long.
    Here are some photos .

This is the 5 tool holders.

Side view

Front view with test part

Machining grove in test part.
    The tool bits are a 3/8 shank broke end mill ,3/16 broke end mill, a 7/16 broke center drill a 5/16 broke center drill and a 1/4 broke carbide drill. So any broke bits will work for bits what ever size you have . Need to make one 1/2 inch but will have to use 3/4 x1 inch stock for that one .
    Last edited by lane; 11-03-2007, 09:29 PM.
    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very good , thanks for the idea. JIM
      jim

Comment

Good idea,now I have one more tool to make
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Darn it anyway now I have more work to do and no time to get it done.

Wasted the afternoon doing honeydo projects and then backed a pickup into the tractor that she left out in the middle of nowhere, several miles on any side of it and I hit the darn thing. Spent the evening straighting the bumper.

Neighbor gave me three 6 volt generators, wanted to put one on a tractor but no time. Special church day tomorrow (100th year anniversary) so tomorrow is gone also.

Nice project wish that I had thought of that way.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Ross
          GUNS Don't kill people
          Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

I'll have to whipp one up and try it on my shaper - it has good geometry for a shaper and replaceable cutters. Nice idea. They can be modified to be form cutters for making involute gear cutters, too.

Comment

Very Clever Lane, nice workmanship too.

Comment

yours look prettier than mine

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...ghlight=radius

each one is for a different size? I made one and turned the drill rod down. As i look at yours again, the different sizes would give the smaller dia's more support
                Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-04-2007, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I knew i was saving those broken endmills and taps for a reason. Brilliant idea.

Comment

A really good idea and superb workmanship - as usual. Thanks for sharing.

Interestingly, I have a Diamond tool holder which is used for most work and noticed recently on the Oz website that an option is to install a round tool bit for corner radiusing.

Your aproach is much easier to make and one could angle the tool holder to do corners.

Hmmm - my list has just got longer! As well, it will take me at least three time longer to make them than you did.

Thanks and regards,

Geoff

Comment

Lane, How did you grind the cutter ? If it is straight it'll have negative
                      rake (the 7deg slope) so it has to be at least that or preferably more.
                      The if it's ground before mounting how to index it with the body of the
                      tool??
                      I've built several of the "diamond" tool holders including one for
                      threading (using a triangular bit) and they work fine. So this using a
                      round bit for "form tooling" would be a good addition.
                      Thanks.
                      ...lew...

Comment

Dern it - i was going to post a thread here in a few weeks when i got around to making something like that. I've always got a bunch of broken 1/4" drill bits for some reason so i thought i should make a tool holder to accept broken 1/4" drill shanks.

Those are pretty cool - i think while i still have access to a bridgeport i should make a couple of the common sizes like 1/4 5/16 and 3/8

Comment

Lane: Great work ,thanks for sharing . You project has been in the back of my mind on the tools to make list.
                          They are esentally an adaptation of the Smith and Coventry design out of England a hundred or so years ago they also made left and right hand angled versions they were sold as somwhat of a universal tool holder and could be used for turning shaping and planeing. The angled version has the slot cut from the back side rather than the front. The slot and hole for tool tool are oriented 45 degrees from the center of the shank. the beauty of that is you use the same tool for facing cuts and turning cuts.
                          Thanks again for taking time to write up and photograph the project.
                          FYI here is a copy of the catalog page.

Tin
                          Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Lane,
                            Nice work and a credit.
                            I went into the workshop earlier to find one I did some years ago but couldn't find it.

Probably a good job as compared to yours it was crude but it worked for me at the time.

I had need of a 5/32 radius in a shaft so being lazy / in a rush / etc I dimpled a piece of 3/8" square steel bar with a 5/16" drill and brazed a 5/16" ball bearing into the dimple. Then ground the top half away so I had half a sphere.
                            A bit of dressing of the holder on the grindstone and it was away to go.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                              Lane, How did you grind the cutter ? If it is straight it'll have negative
                              rake (the 7deg slope) so it has to be at least that or preferably more.
                              The if it's ground before mounting how to index it with the body of the
                              tool??
                              I've built several of the "diamond" tool holders including one for
                              threading (using a triangular bit) and they work fine. So this using a
                              round bit for "form tooling" would be a good addition.
                              Thanks.

...lew...
                              Just grind with bench grinder with table set at eye ball10-12 degrees. If you get a soothe grind you can eye ball the grind marks on the face to rotate tool square to the shank plenty close enough.
                              Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                              http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                              http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Working...
                              X