Surface Gage Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface Gage Questions

I needed a few more $$ spent on an Enco order a few months ago to get the free shipping so I added the Surface Gage pictured below on a whim. I thought heck, for $10.99 I can't buy or make the clamping hardware for that price!

Turns out it's made in India and the quality isn't as good as the Starrett gage it was copied from but is well worth the price. I've used it several times and it does what I need it to do.

1) Why is it spelled "gage" instead of "gauge?"

2) What are the 2 split dowels on the end used for? They slide up & down in reamed holes in the base plate but apparently I'm too stoopid to figure what they're used for.

Oh ye experts, enlighten me.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
    1) Why is it spelled "gage" instead of "gauge?"
    England and America are two countries separated by a common language.
    --George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I dont see the picture, but the two holes for the dowel pins is so you can follow the edge of a surface

Comment

Mochinist beat me to it.

Push the pins so they protrude through the base, and then you can run the pins up along the edge of your surface plate or t-slot so that you have a square reference edge when marking out.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by mochinist
          I dont see the picture, but the two holes for the dowel pins is so you can follow the edge of a surface
          (Dope slapping himself as he says) Thanks, that makes perfect sense!

Hawkman, I thought it was 2 countries separated by warm beer.
          Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Surface Gage Questions

Dickybird,

You will find the dowels handy if you have to check the runout on the arbor of a table saw. Just run them along the mitre slot of the table and indicate along the (non spinning!) blade to see if the arbor is out of alignment.
            Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

"gage" refers to an artifact of some known standard - gage blocks, gage pins, gage rings, etc.

"gauge" refers to a measuring device. Height gauge, snap gauge, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X