Focus stealing by FireFox... part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focus stealing by FireFox... part 2

So I got "tweak UI" and set the setting for no focus stealing.... and sure enough programs flash their tabs instead of popping up.

EXCEPT FIREFOX.......

Since it IS already the focus, I should have seen that it can't be set to NOT steal focus, because it IS NOT REALLY STEALING focus.

It already HAS focus, and it is just popping up another window.

So actually there is apparently nothing that can be done about the update window. Just to stop typing faster when it appears, or hit cancel if it starts. I tend to have my eyes on the keys when typing, so..........

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Mine bugs me for updates all the time. They need to add a botton on the menu "I will do it myself never ask me again"

Comment

On the Mac version that is available in the "Preferences" menu. I'd be surprised if it's not in the Windiz version.

Comment

Or you could just upgrade to IE. I've never had IE do that to me, and at least MS lets you turn off that auto update stuff.
        Russ
        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by BadDog
          Or you could just upgrade to IE. I've never had IE do that to me, and at least MS lets you turn off that auto update stuff.
          "UPGRADE"....? I DON'T think so........

Why move to the bulls eye for every nutcase virus writer?

Since even Macs have viruses now, FF is no panacea that way, BUT there are lots more targets among the dumb users who think "I gotta use MS stuff, the other stuff won't work on this computer".....

Besides YOU SHOULD READ CAREFULLY BEFORE ANSWERING.....

It is not
          Originally posted by BadDog
          auto update stuff
          What it is is a NOTIFICATION OF AVAILABLE UPDATE, NOTan "AUTOMATIC" update, but one that pops up without warning and allows a faster typist to "accept" it with whatever keystrokes are next.

Don't even DARE to mention MS as an example....... The HOME of the "You are about to lose all your data, OK?" pop-up box.
          Last edited by J Tiers; 11-05-2007, 08:22 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Of course you can disable the automatic updates in Firefox.
            On the Tools menu, go to Options -> Advanced -> Update , and uncheck what you like.

Screenshot:

Thomas

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
            - Piet Hein

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
              "UPGRADE"....? I DON'T think so........

Why move to the bulls eye for every nutcase virus writer?
              We've had that discussion too. You're accurate as far as the statement goes. But IE is quite resilient to attack, if the user provides even the most basic effort to understand and use the tools they are given. It's the default install config that causes the VAST majority of "security failures". Just tweaking the settings a bit closes most doors and will make IE, even under the onslaught of being "in the bulls eye", at least as safe as FF/NS. The real problem is the users, MS even upped the security settings, but the users whined and complained till marketing forced the lower security settings again. Same thing with Vista and UAC. The same users who bemoan MS "lack of security", won't put up with even the basic responsibility to what needs to be done. Users are effectively saying, "I don't care if I (effectively) said that site could run anything it wanted to on my computer! It installed some bad stuff, so *OBVIOUSLY* it's MS poor security at fault! Not me!!!"

I'm now going on 2 years with only moderate tweaks (to enable what should have been the default) and no AV, no AS, no nothing but MS OS and IE. And I practically *live* on the net (due to my work) doing research, killing time, all the typical stuff. Yep, that MS security is so shoddy...

Originally posted by J Tiers
              Besides YOU SHOULD READ CAREFULLY BEFORE ANSWERING.....

It is not What it is is a NOTIFICATION OF AVAILABLE UPDATE, NOTan "AUTOMATIC" update, but one that pops up without warning and allows a faster typist to "accept" it with whatever keystrokes are next.
              I read just fine, perhaps you should read your own admonition? Adding in "read for understanding". Or maybe investigate your topic before attempting to insult someone who realizes your bias will not change and was just trying to "cut up" with you a bit. If you missed it before, that's what those smilies imply.

I should have realized that it wouldn't be a good idea to try to joke with you, given your history, but what can I say, it was late. In any case, MS auto update can do "auto update", but it can also "alert me to updates and let me pick". If that option is selected, it has the same "feature" you describe in FF. Different config, but basically the same as Thomas just pointed out sitting right there in your beloved FF options. And like you, I am a very fast typist, often typing while I'm not even looking at the screen, so I fall prey to the same "oops" moments when other things steal the focus. This applies to far more than just MS or FF, I've seen others do it as well. Disabling focus stealing is a huge improvement, at least "they" won't grab focus when your tying in your report doc or something, but of course if your typing in FF...

If you want my full response/views (and I know you don't), look back to the previous discussion where I tried to have a reasonable conversation on this topic. My views have not changed, and I remain virus/spyware free using nothing but that so shoddy MS software. In fact, I've not had a crash/hang/lost data in almost 2 years. Seems most of my previous "problems" were maybe a result of the intrusive AV? All I can say is my systems (more than one) have run pretty much flawlessly (and MUCH FASTER) since ditching the AV and using the built-in security features (nothing special, just running like everyone does on *nix).

Anyway, I didn't mean to start an argument, but rather just "poke fun" and laugh a bit at our previous debate(?). <sigh> I'm done on this topic. You're welcome to the last word, knock yourself out. I've got better things (paying things) to do...
              Last edited by BadDog; 11-05-2007, 12:47 PM.
              Russ
              Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

[quote]I should have realized that it wouldn't be a good idea to try to joke with you, given your history, but what can I say, it was late.

Dunno about that....... "history?". But I do have some "D Thomas tendencies".... and my sense of humour can be disconcerting to others......

Let me say AGAIN it is NOT auto updating, I DO have ALL OF THAT TURNED OFF.

It opens a pesky box to allow you to update if you wish.

The upshot of the biz is that

1) It is not a "focus" issue, I was totally wrong about that, which should have been instantly obvious to me and anyone else reading what I wrote. I'm surprised nobody mentioned how silly I was being..............If FF already HAS "focus" , it can't "steal" it from itself.

2) there seems to be no way to avoid those pop-ups, short of totally disabling the search for updates function by unchecking all the boxes.

3) so if you care about updating, you need to put up with them.

OK......

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                X