How to remove a ball handle (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove a ball handle (?)

I have an assembly like the one seen below. I wish to remove the chrome handle on the left. It's really stuck good. With the straight-forward pliers approach, the I don't think I can get it out without tearing it up. How can I remove this?

A small strap wrench, if you have one. Otherwise, the first thing I would try is a bunch of wraps of masking tape around it and use some pliers or channelocks.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ennis
      I have an assembly like the one seen below. I wish to remove the chrome handle on the left. It's really stuck good. With the straight-forward pliers approach, the I don't think I can get it out without tearing it up. How can I remove this?

use some aluminum sheet as soft jaws in a vice and grab it hard and use the shaft as a lever to unscrew it. if it has some lock-tight warm it with a torch.

Comment

I'd just weld a big snipe to it and jerk it out. But then again...that's just me
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Even better than ali jaws in the vice, a couple of pieces of hardwood with appropriate sized holes drilled. With those in the vice, really grips the ball.
          Just got my head together
          now my body's falling apart

Comment

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
            Even better than ali jaws in the vice, a couple of pieces of hardwood with appropriate sized holes drilled. With those in the vice, really grips the ball.

hey thats pretty slick ... i'll have to file that one away...

Comment

Yeah, had to do it quite a few years ago. "Bubba" had stuck an 8-ball on the gearshift, and I didn't think it was appropriate on an MG B

Damn thing had been epoxied on

Comment

I use hardwood blocks and line them with some thin lead strapping I have. Wood alone would not remove rifle barrels for me but adding the lead not only removed them but woudn't allow them to slip and tarnish the bluing.

To do it I drilled an appropriate size hole in the wood, cut the wood in two with a saw thru the middile of the hole, wrapped the barrel section with lead and then clamped the barrell, wood and lead in the vice. I then had a homemade wrench to grip the receiver with. Some guys used rosin (used to rosin up the bow on a violen) but I never had much luck with it.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Thanks YOD, I'll file that one.
                  I occasionally get polished stainless fiitings that have galled/siezed.
                  Willl try the lead next time

Comment

That has an "Atlas" look to it.....chromed zamac. Mostly they had setscrews and pins for fastening.

I assume you already found the screw or pin and it's still stuck?

In that case, be careful. The zamac material ("pot metal") sticks when it corrodes, and when it corrodes it gets brittle. You don't want to need to make a new one before you get the machine put together.

Levering from underneath can work if you have thin wedges or something to lever with.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

It is an Atlas. I didn't see any pins but I'll look again. I'm pretty sure it is threaded in.

Comment

Have you tried heat, Tony? A heat gun will put a lot of heat on it with less chance of the discolorizing of a flame, and heat will break loose a lot of problems. Get some pressure on it from one of the ideas mentioned above while applying the heat.

I got one of those $15-18 guns from HF and that thing has saved my bacon a couple times.
                        If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Try grasping the shaft between the two gears using the non-marring techniques from previous posts and then, holding the shaft securely unthread the lever from the shaft.
                          There is no shortage of experts, the trick is knowing which one to listen to!

Comment

Will it chuck up in a collet? if its a standard size (and very round) try throwing it into a collet and dont go crazy with tightening, keep it up in the middle of the collets bore also and this will reduce any unessesary stress on the collet, keep an eye on your collet reliefs so they dont get too narrow as this is not good for the collets stress either,

if you stay within those parameters its worth a quick try, other than that you might find some hard rubber blocks to clamp it into...

Comment

If that is an Atlas, my 10" version was pressed into the hole. When I took it out, it was too loose when I reassembled it, it would sometimes come out in my hand when I operated it. I am talking about the ball and shaft assembly, the shaft was pressed into the collar on the gear shaft.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X