Smartflix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartflix?

I have been wondering about renting videos from this outfit so I can decide if they are worth buying, but after reading their terms and conditions, I am a little leery of the service. So, I was wondering what other peoples experience has been? Was the service good, are they as bad to work with as the terms and conditions make it sound? Is it worth the ten bucks to rent videos from these guys for a week? They sure don't provide the kind of service that netflix has, but I guess it is due to it being a much more limited market. After reading some of the reviews that I have seen here on the board of some of the videos I would like to preview before I spend the cash, other options? Thanks.

-brian
    -brian

Hello, my name is brian and I'm a toolaholic.

I've rented a bunch of video from SmartFlix (they used to be called "TechnicalVideoRental") -- they're good people.

I rented the Daryl Holland Lathe series, which was fantastic.
    Steve Bleile's Arc Welding, Oxy Welding, and MIG welding video are also excellent.
    Last edited by lazlo; 11-06-2007, 01:54 PM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I too have rented several and got good service......I had a bit of a gripe when I requested 4 of D Hollands mill series, they sent one, out of sequence, saying the others were out on rental , and charged my credit card --- then waited almost 3 weeks before sending the rest.
      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Smartflix

I'm also a satisfied customer. renting and return was very easy. I've only rented Rudy Khouhoupt horizontal mill video so far. Fair quality but Rudy, bless his heart, was deathly boring to listen to. I'm not a fan of MTV style fast cut editing but that video could have benefitted from some serious edit room work. I'll rent again in the future (even one of Rudy's vid's).
        Bill
        San Diego, CA

Comment

BY all means read the reviews as some are no more than two redneck knifemakers with an air compressor working during the video. Winging it, with the sun coming in obstructing the view or one of them with their hand blocking the shot. or the drawing on the inside of a cardbord box with a #2 pencil/marker. There is more and that was only one dvd. You can read my reviews (GRP)
          They have all that for the legal eagles, as people do copy the dvd's and the people producing the bad ones aren't happy.
          I have rented a lot of them since they statred. and have only good to say. Other than they make it clear in the adverts that you only get to use the coupon code one time even if it a different one.
          Glen
          Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
          I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
          All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Is there a membership fee you have to pay with this outfit or is it just the $10 per movie for one week?

Comment

I too have rented some and except for damaged DVD or copies, yes many are home copies and they are mostly -R which are not very compatible today.
              They always sent another and I am pleased.
              They are not all 10 bucks. If you rent a set you could pay 120.00 for 14 or 39 bucks for 2, depends on the program.

I second the warning about reading the reviews as I had rented a series that was Elmer Fudd and his cats looking more goofy and making more mistakes than I do.
              Heah maybe I can produce a series!

All in all go for it.
              Life Is Grand

Comment

I've rented a few from them, you only pay the rental price....And why would one copy those is be on me...

Comment

quality?

So is the quality of these videos substandard? The way they talk in there terms I thought that they would all be originals and not copies of copies. So, are most of the originals just garbage or does smartflix have bad copies?

-brian
                  -brian

Comment

This is a touchy subject, but SmartFlix only rents DVD's, and yes, every movie that I've rented from them was a copy of the original DVD.

I don't know if SmartFlix actually sends out the original DVD's.

The copy that you get will be indistinguishable from the original, but what PT and others are saying is that some of the videos SmartFlix carries are very amatuerish. Heck, Randy Kouhoupts's videos are very poorly made, but the content is good enough that its still worth watching. Other videos may not be.

Darryl Holland's videos, while not professional production quality, are far better than Rudy's.

SmartFlix has renter reviews under each title -- read through those and you should get a good feel for whether the video is worth $10.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Yeah, Darryl's vids, while not professional are very informative and move right along, where Rudy's are informative but boooring! Then there are Rodriguez's which are just plain awful.....so, its a mixed bag of vids and if you rent very many of them you'll probably get a dud, but I still feel that its worth the $10.
                      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

That's too bad, the gear making video by Jose is the one that I was wondering about getting. I would like to find a way to make more accurate gears. I have made them using my shaper and I have made several of them using a flycutter. But I have never seen a gear being hobbed so I am not exactly sure how that works. I have made several worms and wormwheels, but a spur gear would be different. I looked at trying to use Sir Johns method of using the shaper and a rack as the cutter, but I haven't quit figured out how the indexing between the rack and the blank works.

-brian
                        -brian

Comment

Yeah, I agree about Jose Rodriquez' gear video Bill -- Jose seems like a really nice guy, and he did manage to make a gear, but man, there were a lot of technical mistakes. Partway through the video he realized he was calculating the DP with the wrong value for Pi, and he was actually cutting gears with TPI pitch, and not diametral pitch anyway...

Comment

There'a a strong school of opinion that says the Jose Rodriguez gear cutting DVD is absolute garbage.
                            Never seen it myself, so my views can be dismissed, but heres a few comments from Sir John:

/ Quote

It's crap, in fact it's worse than crap it's crap, crap.

Not worth the plastic it's written on.

Reasons:-

In no order,

[1] Out of focus.

[2] Crap.

[3] Using a home made mill from Taig and Sherline parts that hast the
                            tensile strength of pre stressed licorice so everything moves but not
                            all in the general direction.

[4] Crap.

[5] Boring.

[6] Crap.

[7] Uses the wrong value of Pi in all the calculations so every
                            calculation is out.

[8] Crap.

[9] Only works with TPI pitch hobs and never mentions DP or Mod so no
                            way to calculate for these even if he'd got Pi right in the first
                            place

[10] Every shot of a finished gear is that bad you can't see whether
                            it's correct, good bad or crap - suspect crap.

[11] Covers two types of hobbing, one with annular hob teeth where you
                            take a cut and it cuts one rack tooth and a couple of part teeth, you
                            then index round and repeat and the action of the part teeth leaves a
                            tooth with 3 flats on. Many use this method and it's passable for some
                            work.

Second method is with a helical hob, or in his case a worm as he's on
                            TPI and using a pre gashed blank he free hobs it and relies on the hob
                            to drive the blank.

Due to backlash, movement etc this leaves a rough finish to the teeth.

[12] In the latter free hobbing method he tilts the blank and not the
                            hob so it will cut a wider tooth space than standard due to the
                            helical angle of the hob. No reason to do this as his Bassets Allsorts
                            machine can tilt.

[13] He's clueless.

[14] Crap.

/Unquote

Comment

Originally posted by carlquib
                              I looked at trying to use Sir Johns method of using the shaper and a rack as the cutter, but I haven't quit figured out how the indexing between the rack and the blank works.
                              Hi Brian,

I think you're talking about the Model Engineering article by "Base Circle" which describes how to use a shaper to cut an involute form using an indexer driven off the shaper feed, right?

There was a follow-up article in Model Engineering from an Australian model engineer who tried to replicate Base Circle's setup, and he said that the original article (that's on John's web page) left out a lot of critical details.

One of several major issues the second article describes is that Base Circle's indexing wheel is driven by a wire guide, but he wasn't taking the diameter of the wire into account, so the pitch circle was changing as the indexer advanced. It didn't matter as much for the tiny gears that Base Circle was cutting, but the Australian gentlemen was getting strange tooth forms on larger gears.

He also had serious problems with the overall rigidity of the setup.

Reading through the second article, it seemed like an electronic hobber like Steve made would be simpler, but that might depend on your electronics background...

The followup article is posted on the Yahoo Gear Cutting group "MWMills" -- highly recommended if you're considering the shaper/rack form method...

Cheers,

Robert
                              Last edited by lazlo; 11-07-2007, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X